Construction team members work in the quad in the center area of McKee Fisk, the Social Science Building, the Family Food and Science Building and the Professional Human Services Building on Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2016 (Yezmene Fullilove/The Collegian)

Construction work on campus is ongoing, quad work began right before fall term

What do the track at Warmerdam field and the central quad area between the McKee Fisk, Social Science, Professional Human Services and Family and Food Science buildings have in common? They have been completely unavailable to staff and students since the semester began.

According to a press release from the office of Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro, projects have started all over campus that “represent approximately $84 million of investment in campus facilities and utility infrastructure.” Included in the total amount are the new Jordan Agricultural Research Center ($24 million), the modernization of the North and South gym buildings ($10 million) and the new heating, ventilation and air conditioning system in the Social Science and Phebe Conley Art buildings ($2 million).

Matthew Jendian a professor and chair of sociology at Fresno State, said, “I appreciate some attention to the physical infrastructure on this side of campus. Truth be told, I was beginning to feel a little neglected. Although we don’t have new buildings, which are sorely needed, as these four buildings are among the oldest ones on campus, we do have better ventilation in Social Science, and we will have a nicer quad area.”

Even though the improvements on campus were welcome, they came as a mixed bag.

Jendian said, “Regarding the ongoing construction of the quad area between the four buildings, this is a bit more inconvenient since the work was not begun during the summer and only started right before the semester. The reason this construction is more of an inconvenience is because it now limits the areas for students, staff and faculty to congregate outside and near the Social Science Building.”

“We are, after all, the College of Social Sciences, and not having those physical spaces for students, staff and faculty to congregate does affect the dynamics of those relationships.”

When asked about why the work on the quad was not started so that it would be done before the start of the semester, Sara Mitchel, manager of construction services for Fresno State said, “Given that the duration of the project exceeds the length of the summer break, facilities management made every effort to get the noisiest part of the work done over the summer break in an effort to minimize the disruption to the campus during the semester.”

Current estimates of the completion of specific construction projects are as follows: the central quad area, fall 2016; the track at Warmerdam Field, September 2016; North and South gym building modernization, June 2017; new heating, ventilation and air conditioning for the Conley Art Building, spring 2017.