Student+Health+and+Counseling+Center.+%28Courtesy+photo%29+
Student Health and Counseling Center. (Courtesy photo)

Campus to offer mental-health consultation services for students

Bottling up emotions and pain is not uncommon. Many people face trials on a day-to-day basis and do not always have the will to talk about it.

Fresno State’s Student Counseling and Health Center wants to start that conversation.

Let’s Talk program is a confidential, cost-free consultation for students who are seeking help and support with adversity in their life. ­

Starting Sept. 12, consultation services from master level interns of the health center will be offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at University Courtyard in Sycamore 134. ­

“Typically this would be good for a student who’s having a bad day,” said Malia Sherman, the director of counseling and psychological services. “If there’s something on their mind that’s preventing them from doing well in class or studying or they’re just feeling like they want to talk to somebody who’s not necessarily their friend or family.”

No appointments are necessary for Let’s Talk.

“They can stop in and just talk about what’s on their mind,” Sherman said. “Get some support, and get a little bit of advice.”

Six master level interns rotate in and out of the program throughout the week, giving students who would like to use Let’s Talk multiple times assistance from different perspectives.

The health center was inspired by the work started at Cornell University to create the Let’s Talk program. Fresno State is now among several universities in the nation to implement the support system. ­

“Over the past school year, we’ve been looking at some different areas of Fresno State where we need to improve our services,” Sherman said. “This program kept coming up as a solution to fill those gaps that we had, so that’s why we decided to try it here.”

Let’s Talk is designed to be a quick system for students to pop in before, after or between classes.

“It will usually be around 20 minutes they would get to talk to a counselor,” Sherman said.

The program gives students the opportunity to assess the counseling process. If students feel they would benefit from a longer and more personal session, they are encouraged to set up an appointment with the counseling center.

“I hope that it will be a resource for students who again are having a bad day or just need a little bit of support or encouragement when they’re going through something tough, to get back on their feet again.” Sherman said.