Associated Student Inc. Senator At-Large Alex Gallo speaks to students during the presidential debate in the University Student Union Pavilion on Sept. 26, 2016. (Christian Ortuno/The Collegian)

ASI hosts debate-viewing party in USU for students

The first of three presidential debates in the 2016 campaign took place Monday, and Fresno State students took part by attending the debate viewing party hosted at the University Student Union by Associated Students, Inc. and the League of Women Voters.

ASI streamed the debate between Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump live from C-SPAN. Lester Holt was the debate moderator.

Prior to the debates, Dr. Lisa Bryant, assistant professor at the department of political science, held an online, in-person trivia where students could vote on their phones or computers and interact with one another to get a political dialogue in motion.

Some of the trivia questions included: “When were the first presidential debates?”

“Which presidents did not participate in a debate?” “How many times will Clinton and Trump debate this year?” “Who do you think will win the debate tonight?”

In response to who will win, 13 percent of students voted for Trump, 56 percent for Clinton, 6 percent for undecided and 25 percent for neither.

To add to the night’s anticipation, Bryant said, “This is forecast to be one of the most watched presidential debates ever.”

Bryant encouraged students to express their excitement, create dialogue, get involved and be open minded to the election. “If you want to boo or laugh or clap in response to their comments, we welcome that; as long as we are civil towards each other.”

Once the debate began, students clapped for the presidential nominees as they entered the debate arena at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York.

Students laughed when the candidates would interrupt each other and learned it did not take long for Clinton and Trump to begin what many called “bickering.”

For example: “I have a feeling by the end of the evening I will be blamed for everything,” said Clinton. “Why not?” Trump replied.

After the viewing, students were polled asking which candidate they felt won the debate. Students voted 50 percent for Clinton, 39 percent for Trump and 11 percent neither or tie.

Bryant asked students what they felt were the candidate’s strong points in the debate. “Jobs,” said one student about Clinton’s position on creating job security in America. As for Trump, “war” said a student.

When students were asked to raise their hands if they agreed with Trump when he said he has a better temperament than Clinton, no hands were raised.

A member of the Fresno State College Republicans said, “His stance on jobs is better than Hillary Clinton’s because he has more experience creating jobs.” Another member said Trump’s presentation was “a little bizarre.”

President of the Fresno State College Democrats, Andrew Dasovich, expressed his concern over Donald Trump’s disapproval of current supreme court justices. “During this debate, he brought up another judge who ruled against something that he was for ‘stop and frisk’, and he said that because she ruled it unconstitutional that she is in a way unqualified, or that is she not as constitutionally smart as he is. Because he’s all knowing about the constitution apparently.”

Another member of the Fresno State College Democrats urged students to research the debate topics, “What we can do as students is look at the statistics.”

Students were provided Me-N-Ed’s pizza to enjoy during the debate.

There was also a booth to help students register to vote.

The next presidential debate is scheduled for Oct. 9. There’s also a vice presidential debate for Gov. Mike Pence and Sen. Tim Kaine on Oct. 4.

Bryant told students to look out for an invite to a viewing party for the third and final debate between Clinton and Trump on Oct. 19.