Fresno+State+President+Dr.+Joseph+Castro+on+Monday%2C+Aug.+29%2C+2016+announcing+that+Fresno+State+was+named+the+No.+25+college+by+Washington+Monthly.+%28Jessica+Johnson%2FThe+Collegian%29+
Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro on Monday, Aug. 29, 2016 announcing that Fresno State was named the No. 25 college by Washington Monthly. (Jessica Johnson/The Collegian)

Washington Monthly ranks Fresno State No. 25 on Top 30 list

Fresno State ranks No. 25 on Washington Monthly’s annual list of Top 30 Universities.

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro and Provost Dr. Lynnette Zelezny addressed the university in the Henry Madden Library and via livestream on Facebook Monday morning.

“These measures point strongly to how we are in step with our mission, which is, I think you all know, to boldly educate and empower our students for success,” Castro said. “When our students succeed inside and outside the classroom we have succeeded together.”

Fresno State placed in the top 30 out of 303 public and private institutions. It is the only California State University to rank next to seven Ivy League schools and five University of California schools.

Zelezny highlighted faculty research and public service as “key” factors to the university’s ranking.

“Fresno State is blessed to have outstanding faculty,” Zelezny. “Our faculty members are very well respected in the fields, in the community, in California and throughout the United States.”

Zelezny added: “Here at Fresno State, we believe we have a special obligation to work on issues that are significant to our community and our region with the ultimate goal of strengthening our economy and improving the ultimate quality of life of its residents.”

What role did students play in achieving the No. 25 ranking?

Castro credited students for their hard work in educational and school-based activities. He asked the students of Fresno State to continue to work hard at their studies.

He assured the student body that its voice is heard and it plays an important role in the process of implementing new programs and support to the university.

“I think that through the listening we’re going to get better and better at this. We’re not stopping here. We’ve got a lot of work to do and we will continue to do that,” Castro said.