Students crowd around the Henry Madden Library in between classes on Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2016 ”” Day 2 of the fall 2016 semester. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian Archive)

The things incoming students should know exist

Fresno State is not just a campus filled with classrooms, but a place that also offers various resources for students.

“There are a lot of services that are on campus that are available for students,” said Tim Ryan, Associate Students Inc. president, “and I think the one that I probably want to touch on the most is the health services that are offered in the health center.”

The Student Health and Counseling Center provides Fresno State students with an on-site pharmacy, psychological counseling, X-rays and accepts walk-ins when students want to see physicians and nurse practitioners. ­

“I’ve gone there actually myself quite a few times,” said Kathy Cardona, a pre-nursing major.

She said having the health center is convenient because walk-ins are accepted and a pharmacy is available.

The health center is open to all Fresno State students. However, not everyone realizes that the services are available, Ryan said.

Located in the Industrial Technology Building in Room 144, the Student Cupboard provides students with free food and hygiene products.

“[Students] just have to go in and show their ID and then tell the people in the cupboard how many individuals they need food for,” Ryan said.

Students will then be given a bag they will be able to fill with products of their choice.

“I think the more services that students can take advantage of, the overall better experience that they’re going to have on campus,” Ryan said.

Colin Stewart, associate dean of student involvement, said the University Student Union building is “the living room of campus.”

“It’s the heartbeat of campus where energy and excitement comes,” Stewart said. “Where student activism takes place and it’s where the fun side of the campus comes into place.”

Inside the main level of the USU, students have a place to lounge, socialize, have study groups and more.

“Downstairs you’ll see the food court area,” said Geraldine Panelo Elizondo, assistant director of student involvement.

In addition, the United States Postal Service Express, the Union Snack Bar, the Golden 1 Credit Union, Juice it Up and Bulldog Bowl are available on the bottom level.

The building also includes an information center which provides students with discounted tickets to Six Flags Magic Mountain, Wild Water Adventure Park and more.

“For example,” Stewart said, “if you want to get tickets to let’s say, Maya Cinema, you can get discount tickets to there.”

Later this year, the USU and Henry Madden Library will be providing wireless charging ports in collaboration with the information technology department.

“There’ll be other stops on campus eventually, but the pilot is going to be the USU and the library,” Stewart said. “We’ll be adding [wireless charging] into the actual study tables in the University Student Union.”

Although wireless charging stations will soon appear in the library, students are able to check out phone chargers at the front desk, said Taylor Petersen, a library service specialist.

In addition to phone chargers, students can check out tablets such as iPads and Surface Pros from the front desk and laptops from the laptop desk, she said.

Students who are eligible and in courses that require tablets can loan iPads at no cost. The iPads are available for pick up at the DISCOVERe Hub. ­

“I think that there’s a lot of students who aren’t financially stable, and that’s a great way to help them out,” Cardona said. ­