Professional dancers perform traditional Greek dances in effort to share their culture at Greek Fest at Clinton Avenue and First Street on Saturday. (Marina McElwee/The Collegian)

Opa! Fresno Greek Fest celebrates its 56th year

“It’s all Greek to me,” was more than just a figure of speech in Fresno this weekend.

St. George Greek Orthodox Church hosted its 56th annual Fresno Greek Fest. With more than 25,000 attendees, Greek Fest was a cultural extravaganza featuring traditional Greek dancing, music, food, and even cooking and religious demonstrations.

The first stop at Greek Fest is the church itself ”” the same church Fresno State senior Chrysanthe Pappas grew up in. Pappas’ father is the priest at St. George Greek Orthodox Church.

“I was actually born on Greek Fest weekend,” Pappas said. “It’s a huge part of our lives, and we plan for all of the food and pastries months in advance.”

There were lines of people for hours just to get a taste of a classic gyro sandwich or a Mythos Greek beer. Pappas said that hundreds of student volunteers make the festival possible. Volunteers sell and prepare food, set up and clean up the event and even control the parking lots.

“We reach out to high school and college programs to volunteer,” Pappas said. “Even the Smittcamp Family Honors College comes out to help.”

Pappas, 23, still enjoys the time she spends at Greek Fest each year, and said it makes her happy to volunteer her time.

“It’s fun watching people come in, no matter if it’s their first time or if they are returning,” Pappas said. “It’s not something you see every day where so many people can come together to enjoy a different culture.”

While volunteers gave tours of the church and memorial garden, vendors sold traditional Greek apparel, art and jewelry near the dining area behind the church.

But it’s more than Greek Fest that makes this church so interesting. Pappas said the demand for a Greek Orthodox Church in the Central Valley brings in over 450 Greek families to church each week.

“Our church is very interesting because we have the only Greek Orthodox church within two hours north and south of Fresno,” Pappas said. “I’ll even go out of town and people will know who I am because my dad is the closest Greek Orthodox priest.”

Throughout the evening, many traditional Greek dances were taught and performed. Guests, young and old, got out of their seats to learn the steps and dance the night away. Pappas said these moments are what make Greek Fest so special.

“At Greek Fest, you get to be Greek for a weekend,” Pappas said. “It’s a good place for camaraderie, and if you live in Fresno, you have to experience it at least once.”