Former Bulldog Paul George celebrates with teammates after winning the gold medal on Sunday, Aug. 21, 2016 at the Rio 2016 Olympics in Brazil. (Wally Skalij/Los Angeles Times)

Former Bulldog Paul George Helps Team USA Win Gold in Rio

Former Fresno State star Paul George helped Team USA secure a gold medal on Sunday in the men’s basketball Olympic final defeating Serbia 96-66. George averaged 11.3 points per game throughout the tournament and came off the bench to provide leadership for the second unit.

“We came and we did what we were supposed to do. We’re going home with this gold. This is what it’s for,“ George said in an interview following Sunday’s game. “This is what we made this commitment for…all to come together to do this thing. It’s amazing to go home with the best hardware you can get here.”

Paul George of the U.S. men's basketball team makes a steal against Serbia in the gold medal game on Sunday, Aug. 21, 2016 at Carioca Arena 1 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune/TNS)
Paul George of the U.S. men’s basketball team makes a steal against Serbia in the gold medal game on Sunday, Aug. 21, 2016 at Carioca Arena 1 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune/TNS)