Former Bulldog quarterback Derek Carr and wife Heather spend time with a Valley Children’s patient and her family. (Courtesy of Valley Children’s Hospital)

Former Bulldog Derek Carr launches DC4KIDS

Former Fresno State quarterback and current Oakland Raider Derek Carr and wife Heather have announced the launch of DC4KIDS at Valley Children’s Hospital.

The campaign will help fund the most immediate needs of more than 1.3 million children of the pediatric healthcare network in the hospital’s 11-county service area, providing them with the highest-quality care possible.

The Carr family was exceptionally grateful for the care their first-born son, Dallas, received at Valley Children’s three years ago after he was rushed into emergency surgery following his birth.

“Valley Children’s is near and dear to my family’s heart,” Derek said. “The doctors, nurses and staff saved my son’s life three years ago. Heather and I will be forever grateful for the care Dallas received.”

Dallas was born with a potentially life-threatening congenital anomaly, intestinal malrotation, that can cut off blood supply to the intestinal tract. Shortly after his emergency surgery, Dallas underwent two additional surgeries and spent 23 days in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).

The Raiders quarterback wants to ensure that Valley Children’s Hospital can continue helping other families, just as the staff was able to help his family in 2013.

Derek added, “Even as Heather and I watch Dallas now, we remember the many hands and hearts at Valley Children’s that helped him.”

Valley Children’s President and CEO Todd Suntrapak called Derek a remarkable athlete, but is even more impressed with his heart.

“The support he and Heather have given Valley Children’s over the years has been tremendous,” Suntrapak said. “We’re truly blessed to now be a beneficiary of the DC4KIDS campaign, which will help further our mission to improve the health and well-being of children.”

Each year Derek and Heather spend several hours visiting with patients at Valley Children’s, along with their families and staff.

Former professional quarterback David Carr and his wife Melody also donate their time to what U.S. News & World Report called one of the best children’s hospitals in the the country in neonatology. David is the older brother of Derek.

Derek and Heather Carr were the first to donate to the campaign and widely encourage others to contribute.

Donations can also be made by joining the Derek Carr Touchdown Challenge. Participants will donate $100 to DC4KIDS for every touchdown pass thrown or run in by Carr in the 2016 season.

The donations from the challenge will be made in a single lump sum at the end of the season.

Members will receive an autographed photo of Derek Carr and an invitation to attend a special reception with the quarterback in 2017.