Twin brothers Eduardo and Edgar Madrigal will be two of seven male cheerleaders for Fresno State this season. (Marina McElwee/The Collegian)

Cheerleading: Not Just For Chicks

There is no denying the stereotypes of cheerleading: girls, skirts and pompoms. This year, Fresno State’s cheer team is changing that stereotype with the addition of seven male cheerleaders.

Twin brothers, Eduardo and Edgar Madrigal, are two of the newest additions to the team.

Eduardo said he and his brother played many sports, including football, baseball, swimming and weightlifting, but this is the first time they have tried cheerleading.

A friend tried to convince them for their past two years at Fresno State to join the team, but it wasn’t until they attended a practice that they changed their minds.

“We went out to a few practices to try it out, and found that lifting people is a new challenge,” Eduardo said. “We thought we were strong from lifting weights, but lifting the girls uses different muscles.”

“We never thought cheer was that hard of a sport,” Edgar said. “Growing up, our sister was a cheerleader, and we’d tell her it wasn’t that bad.”

“After trying it, we realized it was a little harder than we thought,” Eduardo said.

Edgar explained that he enjoys working with his brother because it’s like a competition when they are on a team together.

“Being on a team together drives us to learn certain moves and get better faster,” Eduardo said. “We have done this our whole lives. We like to compete.”

One of the biggest challenges the twins have faced is the training schedule. Edgar said they would get up at 5 a.m. to make it to summer practice.

Though they are excited to be on the team, the brothers said they are nervous about keeping up with the group.

“We are still learning how to keep up with the counts,” Eduardo said. “And we are expected to land a standing back tuck at the first home game.”

Edgar said he is excited for a good season and spending time with his teammates. Most of all, the brothers are anxious for the first home football game on Sept. 10.

“The girls have really hyped up the football games to us,” Eduardo said. “I can’t wait to see what it’s all about.”