Former Bulldog Paul George celebrates with teammates after winning the gold medal on Sunday, Aug. 21, 2016 at the Rio 2016 Olympics in Brazil. (Wally Skalij/Los Angeles Times)

2016 Olympics Celebrates Diversity

Over 200 countries came together these past two weeks in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, for the 31st Summer Olympic Games. Rio became the spotlight city of the summer by hosting the world famous event in a country filled with history and tropical beauty.

Former Fresno State star Paul George helped Team USA secure a gold medal on Sunday in the menā€™s basketball final defeating Serbia 96-66. George averaged 11.3 points per game throughout the Olympics and came off the bench to provide leadership for the second unit.

ā€œWe came and we did what we were supposed to do. Weā€™re going home with this gold. This is what itā€™s for,ā€œ George said in an interview following Sundayā€™s game. ā€œThis is what we made this commitment for…all to come together to do this thing. Itā€™s amazing to go home with the best hardware you can get here.ā€Ā

Team USA led all countries by winning 121 medals in total. A sampling of victories include gymnasticsā€™ ā€œFinal Fiveā€ as they earned gold in the team all-around and multiple individual events led by Simone Biles. Swimmer Michael Phelps again made history winning six medals. This led Phelps to an individual medal count of 28, the most ever by an individual. Katie Ledecky added four gold medals to her individual achievements while breaking two world records. Sprinter Allyson Felix won two gold medals to become the first woman athlete to win five gold medals.

The games were a chance for athletes to showcase their talents to the world. For even a small period of time the world came together in unity to watch these athletes compete in moments they had only dreamed about.

Staff writer David Chavez contributed to this story.