News Briefs for April 8

CSU and CFA reach tentative agreement on strike

The California State University (CSU) and California Faculty Association (CFA) announced Thursday a tentative agreement for the wage dispute which has postponed a threatened strike.

Leaders of both the CSU and CFA will announce the tentative agreement on the reopened contract Friday, the CFA stated through an advisory.

“The proposed five-day faculty strike, slated to begin on April 13, will be postponed pending approval and ratification of the agreement by the CFA board of directors and membership,” the statement from CFA read.

The CFA is striving for a 5 percent general salary increase agreement opposed to the 2.65 percent service salary increase offered by the CSU. ­­

“Once ratified by the CFA membership, the tentative agreement will be voted on by the CSU board of trustees at the May 24-25 meeting,” the statement continued.

Prior to the tentative agreement, both parties agreed to a 48 hour blackout period, effective April 6, in which neither party will talk to the news media.

The 48 hour blackout period is scheduled to end Friday.

Lecture to shed light on Sikhism

A lecture will be hosted by the Sikh Student Association Friday, which aims to educate students, faculty and staff about the Sikhism religion.

The lecture is titled “Understanding Sikh Identity” and will be presented by Dr. Nikky-Guninder Kaur Singh, a Colby College professor.

The event will take place from noon to 2 p.m. at the Leon S. and Pete P. Peter’s Education Center, located in the Student Recreation Center.

Workshop to focus on autistic spectrum disorder ­

In collaboration with Fresno State’s College of Health and Human Services and Valley Children’s Healthcare, the second annual Interprofessional Education Workshop will take place on Friday.

Titled “Autistic Spectrum Disorder: A Family-centered Approach to Serving Children with ASD,” the workshop will allow students and health professionals to work together on a case study, which focuses on autism spectrum disorder. ­

Participating students will also be able to listen to a panel of experts who have experience in raising an autistic child. One of the panelists will be Dr. Christine Maul, assistant professor of communicative disorders and deaf studies at Fresno State.

The workshop will take place from noon to 2 p.m. at Valley Children’s Healthcare.

Car show comes to Fresno State

Parking Lot 20 (Barstow Avenue) will be filled with fun-filled activities Sunday, during the Fresno State Car Show.

The free car show, hosted by the Motorsports Club, will begin at 8:30 a.m. and will include competitions for best-in-show and car classes.

There will be three best-in-show trophies and 20 car-class trophies awarded.

All car clubs are welcome to participate, and exhibitors can register at the entrance for $20. All proceeds from the event will go towards the Fresno State Motosports Club.

“The Book of Liz” play opens

The Experimental Theatre Company (ETC) will be performing its spring production of “The Book of Liz” Friday through Sunday.

“The Book of Liz” by Amy and David Sedaris follows the story of Sister Elizabeth Donderstock who is Squeamish.

Donderstock tries to take on the role of making cheese balls for her entire religious community, Clusterhaven, while also trying to balance a job at a restaurant.

While working at the restaurant, she’s offered a promotion to be the manager. However, she has a sweating problem that has to be fixed prior to taking on the role as the manager.

Can Donderstock make all of the cheese balls and overcome her sweating problem?

Find out at the Lab School Theatre at 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Friday, 8 p.m on Saturday and 2 p.m. on Sunday. Tickets are $5 and are available at the box office.

Wine, wine, wine

Food, wine, games and live music will all be a part of Fresno State Winery’s, The Taste of Spring event Saturday.

The event will provide attendees with the opportunity to taste several new student-produced wines such as the 2011 Saviez Syrah, 2012 Sangiovese, 2012 Zinfandel and more.

Additionally, the winery will be having a sale during the event and provide winery tours.

The Taste of Spring will be from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Fresno State Winery (2360 E. Barstow Ave.).

Tickets are $10 for students, faculty and Fresno State Wine Club members and $15 for the public.