Fresno State senior guard Marvelle Harris has earned an invite to the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, where representatives of all 30 NBA teams will be in attendance. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Men’s Basketball: Harris set to compete in Portsmouth Invitational

Fresno State senior guard and Mountain West Player of the Year Marvelle Harris will have the opportunity to showcase his talents in front of all 30 NBA teams at the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament (April 13-16) in Portsmouth, Virginia.

Harris becomes the second Bulldog to participate in the postseason event, joining former teammate Tyler Johnson, who now plays for the Miami Heat.

“This is a great opportunity for me to play in front of all of the NBA teams and continue working toward my dream of playing in the NBA,” Harris said. “I’ve been working really hard and appreciate all that Fresno State has done for me to be ready for this. I’m very proud of what our team accomplished this season, and I am thankful for how my coaches and teammates have helped me become the basketball player I am today.”

Aside from being named the conference player of the year, Harris also earned Associated Press honorable mention All-American and National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) first team All-District 17 honors.

“Marvelle improved as a player every year he was in our program,” Fresno State head coach Rodney Terry said. “He has the skills and work ethic to compete at the next level. Marvelle led our team to a championship by being unselfish and a wonderful teammate, but there were times when we needed him to take over a game and he did that. He has helped build the foundation for our program.”

The four-day tourney invites 64 seniors to play in one of the eight teams (8×8 players) and consists of 12 games.

PIT alumni include former NBA stars like Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, John Stockton and Tim Hardaway.