The Collegian, the student-run newspaper, received a proclamation of “The Collegian Day” at Fresno City Hall, Thursday, April 28, 2016. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

City Council proclaims ‘The Collegian Day”

Staff members of The Collegian, Fresno State’s student-run newspaper, were at Fresno City Hall on Thursday to receive a proclamation of “The Collegian Day” for recent successes in statewide and nationwide competitions.

Fresno City Council President Paul Caprioglio announced the proclamation after The Collegian won awards for best college newspaper website in California in the California College Media Association, and took best in show for its website from the Associated Collegiate Press ”” a national organization.

In total, The Collegian won 14 awards ”” the most since 2006.

Caprioglio, one of the several Fresno State alums on the council, said the hard work of students is vital for their continued success.

“We want to recognize your hard work,” Caprioglio said. “The Collegian has been in existence since 1922, and if my math is correct, that’s 94 years.”

Eight student staffers from The Collegian were at City Hall to accept the proclamation ”” which is signed by Fresno Mayor Ashley Swearengin and seven members of the council.

“When you look at student journalists, you’ll see some of the hardest working students on campus,” said Troy Pope, editor-in-chief of The Collegian. “These students run a newsroom while struggling to balance their actual course work.”

Larry Salinas, director of governmental relations, was at City Hall with The Collegian on behalf of Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro.

“On behalf of Dr. Castro, I wanted to thank the city of Fresno and the City Council for their recognition of The Collegian,” Salinas said. “I think this speaks to the president’s vision of academics and athletics rising together, and, in this case, academics of communications and journalism. So we appreciate the recognition for their hard work, and what they brought to the city of Fresno and Fresno State.”

On top of the Best in Show award for ACP, the CCMA awards The Collegian won include: Best Website, Best Editorial, Best Column, Best Arts & Entertainment article, Best Newspaper Page Design, Best Headline Portfolio, Best Infographic, Best Use of Social Media, Best News Video, Best Black & White Ad, Best Color Ad, Best Sales Materials and Best Online Ad.

“No only are they bold ”” they are the best,” Caprioglio said