Paul Chavez hands over a rose to Dr. Sudarshan Kapoor during the Garlanding Ceremony to honor Cesar Chavez March 30, 2016. The roses are meant to pay tribute to the late activist. The commemoration also includes guest speakers, performances and refreshments. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

Chavez’s son speaks about the late civil rights activist

The son of Cesar E. Chavez spoke Wednesday at Fresno State to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the United Farms Workers’ 340-mile walk to the state’s capital.

A crowd of students filed in line with red flowers in hand to place on the statue of Chavez in the Peace Garden. This Mexican folk tradition is done to honor a person who is no longer alive.

Zacarias Gonzalez, president of the Chicano and Latin American Student Association, explained why the workers’ rights movement was so important.

“At the time, the workers didn’t get breaks. There was no minimum wage for them. There was no shade,” Gonzalez said. “They were literally spraying them with pesticides, while they were spraying the crops. They took no consideration for their health or well being. There were no bathroom breaks, the farmers were going to the bathroom in the fields. Things we take for granted now.”

Gonzalez said that Filipinos also made a big contribution to the UFW.

“They were simultaneously fighting for workers’ rights during the time that the UFWA was fighting for Mexican American rights as well,” Gonzalez said. ­

Paul F. Chavez spoke during the FSU ceremony about the inspiration that his father had on people and their individual confidence. ­

“If someone like Cesar E. Chavez could make a difference, so can I,” the younger Chavez said.

He said that his father inspired people to get involved because he was someone they could relate to.

Mickey Chacon, intern chair holder for MECHA, passed out red flowers to students while the song “Brown Eyed Children of the Sun” played in the background.

Chacon said his favorite part about the ceremony was, “Having one of Cesar Chavez’s own family members speaking gives us an essence of what he was like as a person.”

Dr. Phillip Gonzales, a Chicano Studies professor, played music during the ceremony on his guitar.

“Many times people would sing these songs as a unifying moment,” Gonzales said. “He was a very inspirational person, and I got to work with him many times.”

Gonzales said he got the opportunity to work with Chavez during his college years while part of the movement.

Chacon said that he was not surprised at the turnout for the event.

“I’ve noticed that Fresno State students’ mindsets are very diverse,” Chacon said. “Fresno State students are very proud of their school.”

Gonzalez shared how the gathering of students made him feel.

“It makes me feel good,” Gonzalez said. “This history is getting passed on to another generation, because without us passing this history on to the next generation, it’s going to be lost.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

• O

OldIronSidesSailorApr 4, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Yuck, someone just needs to tell the truth about CC.

• P

Person223Aug 25, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Why didn’t you tell the truth about Chavez rather than saying someone else should?