Fresno State Public Relations students promote their campaign #ShareAPair at Vintage Days on Friday, April 15, 2016. The #ShareAPair campaign collects socks and undergarments for kids and gives its proceeds to the Marjaree Mason Center and to Catholic Charities. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Campaign aims to collect socks and undergarments for kids

Dressed in capes and bright socks, Fresno State Public relations students flew and soared through Vintage Days to promote their campaign #ShareAPair.

Collecting socks and undergarments for kids, #ShareAPair is giving half of its proceeds to the Marjaree Mason Center and the other half to Catholic Charities.

The Marjaree Mason Center is a shelter for women and children that have gone through domestic violence and their mission is to keep the mother and children safe. The Catholic Charities is an organization that helps families get back on their feet through things like getting a job or driver’s license. ­

This campaign is ran by Fresno State public relations students and is taking donations until April 21.

Jacqueline Moreno, a PR student and one of six CEO’s of the campaign said this hits home.

“It really pulls on my heart strings,” Moreno said. “It affects children and to see them without these necessities.”

The campaign has already collected over 400 pairs of socks during a softball game and a baseball game at Fresno State. The campaign’s goal is to raise 1,000 pairs of socks and undergarments.

Moreno said there is also a box in the department of journalism and mass communication office for anyone who wants to donate during school hours.

“I’d like to thank anyone who’s already donated,” Moreno said.

Betsy Hays, MCJ professor said this campaign is a project in her advanced class that is all student ran.

“I read an article in a magazine about a women doing something similar in a different country,” Hays said.

Hays said that a lot of thought has gone into this campaign.

“A lot of the creativity is really fun to watch,” Hays said. “There are six teams and each team has it’s own CEO and component.”

The six components of outreach are social media, on campus, off campus, social events, special events and media and video, Hays said.

The students are trying to inform as many people as possible through multiple outlets of communications. Every fire station in Fresno has a #ShareAPair box at their station for people to make donations as well.

Hays said she feels an emotional connection because she is a mom.

“There is a need that has not necessarily been met,” Hays said. “This is very easy thing to participate in.”

The PR students have received more socks than undergarments, Terryn Rennie, a campaign student said.

“Undergarments are an awkward thing to donate,” Rennie said. “It’s uncomfortable to think about children without underwear. It’s really sad. I try to put myself in their shoes and I can’t imagine.”

Rennie said that she feels fortunate enough to help out.

“I’m glad we have the opportunity to help these kids out,” Rennie said. “There are families living within the poverty line.”

“It’s really great knowing that we are using PR for ethical reasons,” Rennie said. “The right reasons.”

The campaign also has an alternative donation outlet that the public can donate to through their personal cell phones by texting the word “GIVE” to (559) 512-7780.