ASI+President+Elect+Tim+Ryan%2C+hugs+ASI+President+Abigail+Hudson%2C+after+election+results+were+announced+in+the+Free+Speech+Area%2C+Thursday%2C+March+17%2C+2016.++
ASI President Elect Tim Ryan, hugs ASI President Abigail Hudson, after election results were announced in the Free Speech Area, Thursday, March 17, 2016.

Tim Ryan elected as the next ASI president

Tim Ryan, ASI senator for the College of Social Sciences was elected as next year’s Associated Students, Inc. president.

Ryan defeated Cameran Patterson, ASI senator-at-large of Athletics and Recreation by a close margin of 1,171 to 1,121.

When current ASI President Abigail Hudson ran last year, she won in a landslide of 1,337 to 629.

Ryan’s campaign plan includes addressing student financial burdens and the cost of textbooks, expanding healthy food options on campus and increasing student involvement.

Ryan said he was nervous and excited to find out who the winner was and that he was also excited that the campaign process was over.

“It was a really stressful time, but I think I put in the work and the effort to get it,” Ryan said. “I’m really excited to move forward and really start impacting the campus as a whole.”

Ryan had two-year’s experience with ASI, first as a research assistant and then as a senator. As senator for the College of Social Sciences, Ryan said he still had to focus on his current projects before being installed as ASI president at the beginning of June.

“I already kind of have a few ideas of what I want to start working on over the summer,” Ryan said. “Since my whole slate got elected, we’ll probably start meeting and just kind of getting a feel for the kind of projects that we want to start working on and where we can take everyone next year.”

The other winners in executive positions included Nicholas R. Stephens, who ran unopposed for vice president of finance, and Connor Esraelian, who ran unopposed for vice president for external affairs.

The new ASI college senators include Kaile J. Hunt for Arts and Humanities; Nicholas T. Georgouses for the Craig School of Business; Chelsea M. Montes for Health and Human Services; Ga-Lhiel Dillard for the Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology; KC Rivera for the Kremen school of Education; Cameron G. Lane for the Lyles College of Engineering; Lemuel Rivera for Science and Mathematics and Ishaq I. Ali for Social Sciences.

The new senators-at-large are Alex Gallo, Devyn Serenil, Blake Zante, Michael O. Nzambi, Mayra Casillas, Cora Y. Cha, Ally Zavala and Manwinder Singh.

A total of 2,355 votes were counted in this year’s election.