The front page of The Collegian from Feb. 22, 2016. The cover caused a large reaction from the public, both positive and negative.

Pay attention to what Trump stands for

Special to The Collegian

Paul D. Bush

Professor Emeritus of Economics

Two issues have been raised concerning the Collegian’s editorial on Donald Trump. ­The first has to do with the Collegian’s right to write such an editorial. The second has to do with whether or not Trump is indeed a fascist. ­As regards the first, the Collegian editorial staff has the right to be wrong. ­If it didn’t, none of us would enjoy freedom of speech. ­As regards the second, the editorial staff is correct in identifying Trump as a fascist.

There are many forms of fascism. ­Hitler had his version. ­Mussolini had his. ­Donald Trump offers yet another version. ­But the variations of fascism have several things in common. ­All identify ethnic and/or religious groups as scapegoats for the problems faced by their “homeland”; they offer a “strong man” for a leader who will be ruthless in achieving their goals; they justify their claim to elite status through the creation of self-serving myths of invincibility; and they substitute the use of power for reasoned discourse and inquiry.

The editorial staff of the Collegian has paid attention to what Trump stands for. ­It is time for the rest of us to do the same.

$100
$500

$100
$500

amakom EmmanuelJun 13, 2016 at 5:23 pm

SOUNDS CUTE. KEEP MOVING UP THE LADDER.

• R

RedzoneDogMar 7, 2016 at 1:03 pm

We have a communist in the White House. We have a socialist running for president that doesn’t understand the economy, and an elitist woman also running for president that only moves from place to place in a limousine while waiting to be indicted for criminal activity. I’ll take the guy that is not part of the corrupt federal government – Trump. He stands against political correctness and corrects the liberal media on a daily basis. The academia in the U.S is just another leg of the media. So, yes we need the students to start thinking about why they are going to school and what their degrees will be worth when they try to find a job. It is only fair that the students can enjoy the fruits of their labor by allowing capitalism to thrive – just as the professors in the universities have.

BojorcoMar 11, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Any sensible person stopped reading at “We have a communist in the White House.” I know I did.