Molly Griffin (right), 23, a nurse and Fresno State alumna, was killed on Feb. 21, 2015, a the victim of a drunken driving crash. The man who pleaded guilty in the crash, Hector Castillo-Pichardo, was sentenced on Feb. 11 to 16 years in state prison. Griffin is pictured here with Daushá Calhounw.

Molly Griffin’s killer sentenced to 16 years in prison

Last year Molly Griffin’s life was taken by a drunk driver — Thursday her killed was sentenced to 16 years in a state prison, said Sherry Spears, media coordinator for the Fresno County Superior Court.

Griffin, 23, was a Fresno State nursing alumna and a surgery nurse at Madera Community Hospital who was about to be a homeowner before Hector Castillo-Pichardo, 24, ran a red light and struck her car.

Castillo-Pichardo blood alcohol level was 0.12, according to court records.

The collision, on Friant road at Copper River drive, on Feb. 21, 2015, caused the death of Griffin and Oscar Felix Vega, 32, and severely injured Emily Kristen Krieghoff and Jose Flores, said Lisa Smittcamp, Fresno County District Attorney.

Castillo-Pichardo suffered minor injuries and was booked into Fresno County Jail on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter and felony DUI, last year for the crime.

Castillo-Pichardo was charged with two counts of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, drunken driving causing injury, being an unlicensed driver and failing to stop at a red light, Smittcamp said. Nov. 30 he pleaded no contest.

As a nursing student at Fresno State, Griffin was actively involved as a member of the California Student Nursing Association and stood out among her peers. Griffin graduated magna cum laude.

The Griffin family is planning to establish a scholarship in her name, called The Molly Taylor Griffin Nursing Scholarship at Fresno State, which will serve undergraduate students.

Aug. 26 was deemed “Molly Day” to commemorate the way Griffin lived — with kindness. On this day, the family has asked the Fresno community to dedicate the day to random acts of kindness and post their doings on social media using #LiveLikeMolly on the post.

A proposal was approved last August to build a bench in Molly’s honor on campus.