Lecture discusses Israel-Palestine conflict

Two different perspectives, one conflict — A UCLA professor lectured Fresno State students about the different perspectives and the origin of the Israel-Palestine conflict Thursday. ­

The event, organized by the Fresno State Jewish studies program, featured Dr. David Myers.

“I’d like to present to you the history of the relations between Jews and Arabs in this land, Israel-Palestine, that acknowledges and recognizes both perspectives,” he said.

“There had been waves of violence that had broken out in 1920, 1921 — basically, expressions of anger by the Arab side at the rising tide of Jewish immigration.”

Myers recounted both parties’ reaction to the United Nations General Assembly Resolution 181, which created a Jewish state and an Arab state.

“There was a great deal of joy on the Jewish side — dancing on the streets in Jewish parts of Palestine,” he said. Meanwhile, “they [Arabs] were shocked and outraged that their land, as they saw it, had been stolen.

“The main goal [of the event] was to bring a wonderful scholar from UCLA here who could share his expertise on the history of the Middle East,” said Dr. Jill Fields, founding coordinator of the Jewish studies certificate program.

“I think that he’s a great speaker,” Fields said. “He puts across complicated events and concepts in a really understandable way.” ­

Civil engineering major Chris Black said he is “much more informed” about the conflict now.

“I didn’t know much background about this conflict up until now so [the lecture] was very informative.” Black said. “I really enjoyed how the professor tried to give a view from both sides of the conflict.”