From Addiction to Awareness

Karl Johnson shared his raw and real life experiences with Fresno State students and faculty Wednesday.

North Gym Room 118 was packed by the time Johnson began to share his story. He has rebounded back into mainstream society from a life of drug addiction, homelessness and incarceration.

Samantha Bauer opened the discussion explaining how she met Johnson and how their friendship flourished. She explained how Johnson told her and her kids stories of turning purple from the California heat while locked up in Southern California.

His speech was an emotional roller coaster as he describes details of his life and losing his mother and brother while behind bars. ­Before serving 11 years in prison, he was one of the top cocaine runners in Los Angeles, he said. His brother, Dennis Johnson was an NBA Hall of Famer who played for the Boston Celtics. ­

Johnson’s book, “Rebound,” was created with Bauer, who heard his story and wanted it to be told to others. ­­

“It was really sad.” It reminds me of the passion that I need to have for my field that I’m going into, which is criminology corrections. It was a lot of motivation,” said Fresno State student Adriana Moreno.

Johnson spoke with passion on solving the homelessness problem in the Valley. ­

From time to time throughout his speech, tears came pouring out as he described his experience. He said he loves the community and credits Fresno as a whole in helping him overcome the obstacles of addiction and getting off the streets.

Johnson said he is now trying to pay it forward and help out others who are in the situation he once was in.

“To share my story is positive, and I’m willing to go anywhere to end homelessness,” Johnson said.

Johnson currently serves as Fresno housing commissioner.