Fresno State Winery brings home awards

The Fresno State Winery has three new awards to add to its collection.

The winery participated in the Long Beach Grand Cru Wine Competition, the 35th annual San Francisco International Wine Competition and the Consumer Wine Awards in 2015.

“It’s fun to be a part of the competitions and to see what a panel of professional think about your wine,” said Matthew Brain, Fresno State winemaker and lecturer.

The Long Beach competition took place in August and included entries from hundreds of international wineries. It was judged by winemakers, sommeliers and journalists. ­

The Fresno State Winery was awarded for five wines at Grand Cru — its 2012 Touriga, 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon, 2009 Petite Sirah, 2012 Merlot and the 2011 Tempranillo.

Additionally, the winery received awards for three wines — 2012 Touriga, 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon and 2009 Petite Sirah at the San Francisco competition, which took place in June.

The competition included 4,902 products from 29 states and 26 countries.

Being awarded by both Grand Cru and by the San Francisco competition is “fantastic,” Brain said.

The success was followed by being awarded for three wines — 2012 Touriga, 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon and 2013 Sauvignon Blanc at the Consumer Wine Awards, which had 490 wines submitted that were evaluated by 144 people.

Brain said winning the awards brings publicity and recognition to the school and shows everyone that Fresno State Winery can make it.

“[In the future] we are certainly going to produce some of the best wines that the Valley has to offer,” he said.

Although Brain did not make any wine that was awarded, “I’m very very proud and excited,” he said. “I am really proud to be part of this award winning legacy.”