Comedian brings show to campus

Hundreds of Fresno State students and staff crowded the Satellite Student Union to watch “America’s Got Talent” runner-up Drew Lynch’s comedy show Tuesday evening.

The SSU quickly filled as the crowd awaited Lynch’s performance. The large audience ranged from faculty to “America’s Got Talent” fans and students who were attending the show simply for a class.

The University Student Union Productions team encouraged the show not only because of Lynch’s witty sense of humor, but his unique stutter that enhances his performance.

“I thought he had a good attitude about it because he made fun of himself a lot so he‘s confident with himself. He’s not letting it hinder his life”, said Fresno State freshman and “America’s Got Talent” fan Noelle Paul.

During Lynch’s comedy routine he immediately addressed his stutter as he used it as the focal point of most of his jokes.

From blonde jokes to cocaine references, Lynch’s sense of humor was far from impaired. His raunchy sense of humor had the entire crowd anticipating how much further he would take his jokes.

He even went to such lengths as to reference the Jared Fogle child pornography scandal about how Subway loved him because he looked “young”.

Regardless of his borderline offensive sense of humor, most of the crowd seemed to enjoy his material. Even the sign language translator had a tough time holding composure.

When asked about the motivation behind Lynch’s performance on campus, Fresno State’s Program Event Coordinator, Shawna Blair said, “Not only is he doing just a comedy show but he’s showing others you can do anything no matter what happens to you so we thought it would be inspiring other than a comedy show”.

Fresno State Student Shaela Warkentin, who was blinded in a DUI related car accident in 2011 joined Lynch on stage along with some of the student group Advocates For Students With Disability after the show to share their stories.

The comedy show served the students with more than just a comedy bit.

It was a chance to engage with other students who let their disabilities enhance them, rather than deplete them.

The theme for the show was “Moment of Change” and Lynch’s performance was nothing less than motivating. Rather than letting his stutter affect his performance, it only added to his eloquence.

“We have more events planned in March and April. In March we will have another comedian, someone who has been on TV before and in April we have a couple speakers coming”, Blair said.

More information about upcoming events on Fresno State’s USU Production’s Facebook page can be found at www.facebook.com/usuproductions.