Fresno State senior forward Toni Smith (42), pictured here in Saturday’s game against Air Force, scored a team-high 14 points for the Bulldogs in Wednesday’s 49-42 win over conference rival Wyoming. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

Women’s Basketball: ‘Dogs make comeback on road to beat Wyoming, extend streak

The Fresno State women’s basketball team used strong performances from its post duo of Bego Faz Davalos and Toni Smith to rally from a third quarter deficit on the road and beat Wyoming 49-42.

With the win, Fresno State (12-7, 8-0) extended its win streak to eight games — its longest since the team won 13 straight games last season.

The Cowgirls (10-9, 3-6) led 25-21 at the half and kept the momentum going as they built an eight-point lead and their largest of the game midway through the third quarter. But the Bulldogs answered back, sinking three straight shots to cut the lead to 33-31 heading into the fourth quarter.

The final period featured a gritty battle that saw two ties before the Bulldogs took the lead for good. Guard Shauqunna Collins connected on jumper to tie the game at 39 with 5:01 left in the game and after a two-minute scoring drought from both teams, Smith hit a jumper of her own, which helped ignite a 10-3 to close out the game.

Smith tallied a team-high 14 points, marking her seventh-straight double figure scoring game while Faz Davalos recorded her third consecutive double-double with 10 points and a game-high 15 rebounds.

Forwards Natalie Baker and Marta Gomez led the Cowgirls with 16 and 12 points, respectively.

Fresno State is one of two teams left that are undefeated in conference play along with Colorado State (17-1, 7-0).

The Bulldogs put eight-game win streak on the line again on Wednesday when they host in-state Mountain West rival San Jose State (6-14, 4-5).