Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump makes a campaign stop aboard the USS Iowa battleship in Los Angeles on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2015. (Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Stop laughing at Trump

Something dangerous is happening in the GOP. Donald Trump is leading in the polls. Consistently.

At first, the Democratic Party laughed it off as a joke. I mean, who could take Donald Trump seriously? He tossed out reporters based on their race and floundered during the preliminary campaign, accusing Megyn Kelly of being on her period. His hair is dumb and he wore a trucker hat to appeal to middle class America. But he is not floundering any longer.

Trump stands as a legitimate threat to Americans as we advance toward the Iowa caucus.

The Iowa caucus is the first round of voting during the primaries. This is where the state of Iowa will choose which candidate they want to represent the parties. But more than this being the first round of voting, this is the first prediction as to who will win the party nomination. Iowa sets the presidence as to who will win. And right now in the polls, Trump is going to win that party nomination.

I cannot laugh at him any longer.

He is worshipped because he speaks his mind. He will destroy our foreign policy because he speaks his mind to people who have power, ill will and weapons.

He is heralded as a great businessman — and therefore, is an ideal candidate for president. But a country is not a business. We are dealing with livelihoods instead of infrastructure, with families instead of capital and with the futures of over 300 million individuals. No businessman can manage that. No one person can manage that. Which is the crux of the problem.

Trump is one very loud voice. He is incapable of working with others. How would he work with congress to expedite policies to help the middle class? To help Syrian refugees? He wouldn’t. He would be a very loud stick in the mud with bad hair.

This stick in the mud will soon become a stick somewhere else if we, the voters, do not change it. We cannot be complacent with the GOP choosing Trump as their party’s nominee.

We need to take Trump seriously, as the threat that he is. He has become too comfortable in his lead. Comfortable enough that last week at a rally he said that his fans were loyal enough that he could, “stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody” and not “lose any voters.” ­

While this seems absurd, and surely that absurdity should have reflected so in the polls, it did not. His fans agreed with him. His polls did not drop.

Trump is Jesus. He can do no wrong. He can threaten to kill innocent people without cause, and not face any censure at the polls. This is dangerous.

His supporters are loyal to the point of mindlessness. And he knows it. He brags about it. He revels in the fact that so many Americans have become Trump-sheep. Yeah, I just coined a new term. These Trump-sheep breed fascism without question. They have a nationalistic view of the nation and believe that Trump can do no wrong. They are lemmings. Sadly, they are going to take the whole nation off the cliff with them if Trump is elected president. ­

These fascists are blindly following a leader with his head so far up his own butt, he cannot see daylight. But it is okay, because Sarah Palin endorsed him, and she can see Russia from her front porch. That is all the foreign policy we need in America. The cracks of sunlight from Donald Trump’s butt, and distant relations with Russia.

I cannot call for Americans to wake up. I have to ask them to stop laughing with me. A man who does not welcome Muslims into America is no laughing matter. A man who wants to build walls between us and our neighbors is not giggle-worthy. A man whose followers worship him to the point that they cannot fault him for threatening to shoot people should be met with stoicism and censure. He should be silenced at the polls.

Start taking Trump’s campaign seriously. Start recognizing that he may be the Republican Party nominee. And there would be no stopping him from that. The Democratic Party has an independent running on their ticket. Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders is running as a “Democratic Socialist.” The word “Socialist” still scares Americans. That alone could deter them from winning this election.

Stop laughing America. Trump could become our reality.