New Hmong Minor a Glimpse into Future

First in the western United States and fifth in the nation, Fresno State plans to offer a Hmong minor next semester through the Linguistic Department in the College of Arts and Humanities.

The Central Valley has one of the largest Hmong populations in the nation and Fresno State, having a highly populated Hmong student body, now has the need for a Hmong minor.

The minor calls for 18 units in Hmong culture, history and language and was proposed by Dr. Kao-Ly Yang, a Hmong and French professor. The Hmong minor is still awaiting approval from a few committees, but Yang is confident everything will be ready for the fall semester. ­

Yang said that as the coordinator, she believes the four main objects of the minor are: to learn the language, answer to students’ need, help create future leaders and to advance students’ academic writing skills. ­

“You have a lot of students who would like to get reconnected to their culture,” Yang said. “In order for you to succeed in mainstream society, to become a lawyer, doctor, teacher, engineer, reporter, you have to know your culture and be proud of who you are.”

Yang had a lot of Hmong students who insisted that she should push for a Hmong minor at Fresno State. Keng Vang, president of the Hmong Language Club at Fresno State, told Yang that he did not want to graduate until he received his minor in Hmong.

“I’m the oldest son in my family so there is a lot that is expected from me. I’m supposed to be the one who holds the culture and traditions and be the model for my younger siblings,” Vang said . “It would be great if I have a minor, so that I’ll have proof that I’m fluent in Hmong.”

Dr. Honora Howell Chapman, associate dean of Arts and Humanity, supports and said that having a Hmong minor at Fresno State is important for students.

“It provides emotional benefit for the students who get to study their family’s language, culture and identity. They can ask questions about what it means to be Hmong today, what it will mean for children eventually,” Chapman said.

“I think any time you have the opportunity to learn about your family’s history and background, you become a more complete person; you become a more whole human being.”