Women’s Tennis: Maiar Sherif Ahmed captures singles title at Jack Kramer Invitational

Square Logo BlueFresno State sophomore Maiar Sherif Ahmed of the women’s tennis team became the 2015 Jack Invitational singles champion and runner-up in doubles at the Jack Kramer Tennis Club over the weekend.

On Friday, Ahmed defeated No. 43 Lauren Marker of Arizona, 6-1, 6-2. Emma Wilson and Sophia Watts also advanced to the quarterfinals in doubles with an 8-2 victory.

On Saturday, the Fresno State women’s team sisters Ahmed and her sister Rana Sherif Ahmed defeated USC’s doubles pair of Rianna Valdes and Madison Westby 8-6 and advanced to the doubles semifinals on Sunday.

Maiar also got the job done in singles competition as she defeated Pepperdine’s Matea Cutura, 6-3, 7-5. She then met USC’s Zoe Katz in the semifinals, the No. 114 college tennis player in the country and came out on top in straight sets, 7-5, 6-3.

Watts and Wilson fell in the quarterfinals on Saturday (8-3) to Washington’s Tami Grende and Miki Kobayashi.

Watts would defeat Jaimee Gilbertson of UC Santa Barbara; 6-4, 6-0 and Wilson would earn her victory over Amanda Atansson of UC Santa Barbara 6-1, 6-2.

On Sunday, Maiar began the day in a semifinal doubles competition match with her sister Rana.
The sisters defeated Kobayashi and Grende, 8-3, advancing to the doubles Sunday afternoon final.

Maiar Sherif Ahmed had no time to rest as she quickly had to transition to the singles championship match where she faced Washington’s Stacey Fung. The sophomore handled business, winning in straight sets, 6-1, 7-5, and was crowned the 2015 Jack Kramer singles champion.

But there was little time to celebrate as Maiar had to join her sister after in the doubles competition.

The pair was unable to come out with a victory as they fell 8-5 to Palina Dubavets and Stefani Stojic of UC Santa Barbara.

Sherif Ahmed will only have three days to rest before beginning play after earning an at-large selection after a runner up finish at the USTA/ITA Northwest Regional two weeks ago.

The Bulldog sophomore will step on the court again at the National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships on Nov. 12 at the at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, New York.