Mara Lindquist and Abby Persoon, right, share a blanket as they relax in recliner chairs at Marcus Theater in Oakdale, Minn., which offers the luxurious seats. Rennee Jones Schneider/Minneapolis Star Tribune/TNS

Where have all the good movies gone?

Hollywood has run out of creativity.

So few movies this year have been original, not in the sense that they are lacking in creative story lines, but rather, they are mostly continuations, remakes, sequels or based on books.

Even the movies based on books seem to be split into multiple parts. There have been so few original titles this year, Hollywood’s future seems bleak. Where are all the writers creating new and unique content?

How many more “Paul Blart: Mall Cop” movies do we have to see on the marquee before we stop and realize that American consumers are being played by big wigs in Hollywood? While we as moviegoers indulge in our nostalgia as movies like “Jurassic World” and and “The Peanuts Movie,” we are letting go of original content as a viable option for high-grossing films. The more we proceed to pander to the poor productions, the more poor productions we will consume.

While movies like “The Hobbit” trilogy are far from poor quality, they, in their own way are making money off of America’s consumer complacency. This single 300-page book was transformed into three three-hour movies. The writers of the films actually added content from the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy and even added completely new story lines to the film to make sure there was enough content to stretch into three movies. This was done for profit. Filmmakers can make three times the amount of money on a trilogy than they can with a single, more honest representation of the book.

Theaters are plagued constantly by sequels and remakes. The film industry is coddling fans of franchises, knowing that the market exists and will pay anything to see the continuation of said franchise. In order to stay up to date, you must watch every movie. Fans are caught in a seemingly never-ending cycle of sequels.

An example of this would be the rise of the superhero movies. Filmmakers have found a target audience that will always show up to see the next installment of their favorite franchise. How many “Spider-man” movies do we really need to watch before we figure out that he is never going to get the girl?

Film as a form of entertainment has been considered highbrow art is now quickly becoming another market in which American consumers are losing themselves to. We go to the movies and watch a Seth Rogen film, knowing exactly what we are going to get. We sit down and watch the newest installment in the “Hunger Games,” already knowing the ending because we read the book.

There are very few movies that offer audiences a unique and new story. We have let go of the standard of quality that ­we used to hold movies to, and now settle for the complacent romantic comedies that we know the ending to.

Do not let Hollywood dictate what good movies are. They are selling merely palatable creativity in an attempt to extort money out of the average American.

Luckily, there are a couple vestiges of artistic merit left in the film industry. Checking out movies with awards from film festivals like Sundance and Cannes is an easy way to support authentic screenwriters.

Supporting these artists is essential to the survival of “good movies.” With the support of consumers, well-crafted movies that break away from the grafted tree of sequels and remakes will have the opportunity to become high-grossing, and thus, encourage more original and authentic content in theaters.