Week-long event celebrates the benefits of studying abroad

International Education Week kicked off Monday as an opportunity to celebrate the benefits of studying abroad.

The theme for the event, where students can learn about other cultures is, “access for all.” ­

“This is a nationwide recognized week about international education” said Jamie Jones, international student adviser. “Each of our events each day is just to give students an opportunity to learn something about either study-abroad opportunities or international students or culture from this campus.”

Monday’s kick off, which took place in front of the University Student Union from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., included small stations to engage both international and domestic students. The event included educational booths and performances by international students.

Soovin Choo, international ambassador, said that through the events she expects students to learn about what is going on in other countries as well.

“We would like people to learn about our culture because some people really don’t know,” said Choo. “There were a lot of things going on around the world last week in France and Lebanon in terms of ISIS attacks. We hope it helps people to recognize what’s going on all over the world.”

Choo added that the events are not only for international students. She hopes both international and domestic students get something out of the tragedy.

Tuesday’s events included a global skills workshop, international coffee hour and a diversity dinner.

The global skills workshop took place at University Student Union Room 309 from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. and was put together by the Career Center. It provided information for students who are interested in working abroad.

The coffee hour which took place in Room 2206 of the Henry Madden Library from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m., featured a panel with international students and study-abroad students to talk about similarities and differences between their countries.

“The theme for this year’s International Education Week is access for all, so the topics they’ll be talking about in the panel are things that would affect everyone, for example education, dating, transportation, things that would affect everybody as they travel or move around the globe,” Choo said.

The CSU applications programs workshop took place in Family & Food Sciences 119 from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 .p.m. It provided students with information about opportunities to study abroad and how to apply. ­

Tuesday’s international education events finished off with the Cross Cultural Center’s diversity diner in which diversity in the local community as well as on campus was recognized. This dinner took place from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Vintage Room.

Teaching without Borders will take place on Wednesday at the Henry Madden Library in Room 3212 at 12 p.m. Faculty members Dr. Miguel Perez from the public health department and Dr. Jason Whiting from the recreation administration department will talk to students about the benefits of studying abroad.

For Thursday, there will be a session called Demystifying the Hijab. This session will take place at the University Student Union from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.

“We have a growing Muslim population on campus. We see a lot of headdresses that are worn by women,” said Jones. “We just want to educate students. What does that mean? Why is it worn? Try to demystify it and take away some of those stereotypes or misconceptions about traditional clothing that’s culturally specific.”

The week will come to an end with an international culture night which will take place at the Student Satellite Union from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. There will be cultural performances, songs, dances and a fashion show.

“It’s really highlighting, in particular, international students on campus and their cultures and music and dances that would be culturally specific,” added Jones.

Omar Aladi, an international student from Oman, said International Education Week is important because students get knowledge about other countries.

Than Pham, accounting major, from Vietnam, said, “It’s really fun because we can connect with other students on campus and get together. It’s also useful because people can make more friends.”