Veterans remembered for their sacrifices

Veterans were honored and remembered for their sacrifices with a ceremony on campus a week before Veterans Day.

The Fresno State Student Veterans Organization held the celebration Wednesday at the Allen Lew Memorial Garden near the Frank A. Thomas Administration Building. The celebration included guest speaker Lt. Col. Lorenzo P. Rios and guest performers Adam Cook and Lori Alamano.

“It’s an important event for two reasons. One, to remember our veterans from the past and also our veterans that are still serving today,” said Tiffany Marsh, president of the Fresno State Student Veterans Organization.

The celebration was open to the public, it brought together family and community members, students, faculty and cadets to take time out of their day and acknowledge the importance of Veterans Day.

Lori Alamano, who is the assistant of Fresno State Police Department Chief David Huerta, started the memorial celebration off by singing the National Anthem. The event was followed by guest speaker, Rios.

“It’s a time to remember that freedom is not free,” Rios said.

“We have never stopped standing for the opportunity for people to have choices.”

99 percent of our nation has not served nor understand what service is. Less than 1 person of the nation wear the uniform and actually understand what the cost of war is.

“We must not forget, it is our duty to make sure we never forget and take the time to honor, remember and educate the next generation,” said Lt. Col. Rios.

Cook, a vocal performance major, performed two songs: “America the Beautiful” and “God Bless America.” To conclude the event the color guard retired the colors with bagpiper Mark Little.

“I think the ceremony was really emotional and it really got to me. My neighbors are in the Army and I feel that what they go through with the war is tough,” said Javier Jimenez, an 18-year-old freshman.

The Fresno State Student Veterans Organization has been preparing the celebration since the beginning of the semester. The organization was first recognized back in 2009 and is solely comprised of students who have served the country, Marsh said.

“There’s a very small community of veterans on campus, that’s why we feel that it’s important to have this organization and have the community and be around like-minded individuals,” Marsh said.