Swimming & Diving: ‘Dogs set new school records in road loss to Nevada

Square Logo BlueIn an emotional week, the Fresno State women’s swimming and diving team traveled to Nevada for a matchup against the Wolf Pack.

All week the Bulldogs have been tending to Mike Ruth, father of senior diver Lacie Ruth.

The Visalia man spent much of the week in the hospital after he was involved in a car crash Monday.

“I’m really proud of our student-athletes,” head coach Jeanne Fleck said. “Emotionally and mentally, it’s been hard on all of us this week and we all wanted to be there for [Ruth] and her family. Today there has been good signs as her dad is making a slight turn for the better, but it’s still tough.”

The ‘Dogs lost 176-121 to Nevada on Saturday afternoon, but still broke school records and set personal bests.

Freshman Ugne Mazutaityte won the 100 Backstroke (56.76) and broke a Fresno State record in the 200 Backstroke with a 1:58.66.

“[Mazutaityte] is training at a higher level than she ever has,” Fleck said. “She’s very coachable and is improving each and every week. We’re all excited to continue to watch her grow.”

Senior Leah Hatayama won the 50 Freestyle with a time of 23.82, .03 seconds faster than second place finisher, Rebecca Murray of Nevada.

Fresno State senior Brooke Rodriguez, junior Esme Gullick and senior Karissa DeRousseau took the top three spots in the 100 Individual Medley, a new event in competitions this year.

Fresno State also had the top three times in the 200 Freestyle Relay and placed second in the 200 Medley Relay.

Junior diver Shelbie Holden placed second in the 3-meter dive with a score of 239.10 and third in the 1-meter (240.66).

“Our younger swimmers are really stepping up as four of our nine seniors are injured,” Fleck said. “As we continue to swim competitively this fall, I’m very pleased with how we’re progressing.”