New app launched to connect Greeks

A new app aimed strictly for Greek organizations will be launched in the next couple of weeks, and Fresno State is one of the first universities to try it out.

oneGreek is an exclusive app that allows verified Greeks to share stories and photos with other Greeks from chapters across the country.

“I really enjoy this app. I get to be one of the first people to test oneGreek out…My favorite feature regarding the app is not knowing how many likes a picture has until you like it,” said Mia Summers, official rep of oneGreek at Fresno State. “I also like the networking opportunities it gives Greek life. This app is strictly just Greek members which is something Instagram, Twitter or Facebook does not have.”

Summers is an active member of Delta Zeta sorority on campus. She was chosen by the founders of oneGreek because she is an active member of Greek life with a popular Instagram account.

The app was made available to official reps at 25 different campuses across the nation. In November, pre-verified Greeks from those 25 campuses will be given access.

“Our team searched through social media accounts from thousands of users across the nation and discovered that Fresno State offers some of the highest quality and most engaged Greeks,” said Gavin Glatting, co-founder. “We are interested in Fresno State because we’re confident your students will share amazing Greek stories with the rest of the nation.”

Glatting created the app along with co-founder Sam Garst. They are both University of Arizona alums. During the founders’ involvement in the University of Arizona Greek system, they discovered the overwhelming lack of options for sharing, exploring and learning about fraternity and sorority chapters outside of their university.

“We created this app out of a desire to experience Greek life across the nation,” said Glatting.

He said there are over one million Greeks in over 10,000 chapters at over 400 universities, and he believes there does not exist a platform for this “close-knit” group of students to communicate and share their experiences.

“The app offers an outlet for Greeks to share stories, photos and news to thousands of students who otherwise would have no idea how Greek life is experienced at universities other than their own,” said Glatting.

Summers said the app will benefit students in the Greek life not only at Fresno State but all over the nation. She added that having the app will promote Greek life for members and non-members on campus.

oneGreek is exclusive invite-only. A user must be invited by a Greek who already has access to the app. Users must also be verified.

Glatting said they have received over 5,000 invitation requests. It is expected that the number of Greeks who use the app will expand exponentially. Glatting added that they plan to expand to over 100 schools within the first few months.

“With a growing stigma around the fraternity/sorority system, oneGreek is a refreshing opportunity to learn, share and discover the incredible things our community has to offer, all while maintaining the exclusive nature of its membership,” said Glatting.

In order to be able to use the app, Greeks must first get verified at www.oneGreek.org.