Moment of silence held to commemorate lives lost in Paris terror attacks

Fresno State’s International Student Services and Programs (ISSP), along with students and faculty, gathered Monday to observe a moment of silence for all victims involved in the Paris attacks.

The moment of silence was held at the University Student Union at 12:30 p.m.

It brought together students and faculty to take a moment out of their day to honor and remember the victims, including with Nohemi Gonzalez, a design student from California State University, Long Beach said Jamie Jones, international student advisor. Gonzalez was killed in the attacks.

“We want to send out our warmest wishes and regrets for the families that suffered for all the victims in Paris,” Jones said.

The event took place on the first day of the International Education Week. The week is a great time to get educated about ISSP and the international student population on campus, but, most importantly, it was a great time to give support to all the victims and bring awareness to things that are happening around the world, Jones said.

ISSP provides support to the international applicants who come every semester and takes care of any problems they face during the semester, said Abhimanyu Tripathi, an electrical engineering major.

“We make international students aware that ISSP supports them and is here for them, and if they have any problems with anything, they can talk to us,” Tripathi said.

Fresno State President Joseph Castro has also extended the university’s flag tribute for the Paris terrorist attack victims through this week.