Inaugural 5k run on campus honors veterans

The inaugural Veterans Day 5k run hosted by Fresno State’s Army ROTC, took place Saturday generating a crowd of more than 50 people.

“We’re doing it to raise money for local veteran groups,” said support coordinator of ROTC, Nancy Kobata. “I think we did a good job putting it on and we had a great turn out for our first run.”

The event, which was open to the public, kicked off bright and early with registration and check-in at 7:15 a.m. at the north gym. Donations were accepted in lieu of an entry.

The event featured a raffles, live music from DJ Rey, street magician Redjay and booths for veteran programs. Proceeds from the event will go to the Clovis Memorial District as well as Fresno and Clovis Veterans of Foreign Wars.

“We only started planning this a couple months ago,” Kobata said. “We just decided that nobody was doing anything like this for Veterans Day and we thought this would be a good way to support our veterans and show our appreciation.”

Kelsey Coylem, Fresno State student and participant, heard about the event over social media. “My friend sent me a notification and I love running,” she said.

Coylem won first female overall and plans to join the U.S. Army once she graduates college. “It was really good and really put well together,” Coylem said. “I would definitely come back next year.”

Kobata said she hopes next year they plan to host the event again and hopes even more people will come out and support. ­“We’re really excited for our first run,” she said. “I think we did a good job.”