Fresno State junior outside hitter Aleisha Coates (3) goes in for the spike during Tuesday night’s game against the UNLV Rebels at the Save Mart Center. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

Volleyball: ‘Dogs hang on to edge Rebels in highly-contested bout

The Fresno State volleyball team grinded out a tough one, winning 3-2 over UNLV Tuesday night at the Save Mart Center.

Coming of a road victory over Air Force (3-2), the ‘Dogs (12-10) looked to keep the momentum going as they faced the evenly-matched Rebels (11-9).

Fresno State senior outside hitter Zana Bowens once again lead the ‘Dogs in the victory by recording 16 kills, her 10th double-double of the season.

Bulldog junior Maggie Eppright lead the team with with 19 digs.

The ‘Dogs were in a tough one all night as the match would eventually would have to be settled with an extra fifth set.

The Bulldogs struck first in the match taking the first set by the score of 25-21 with Carly Scarbrough leading the ‘Dogs with three kills.

Sophomore Lauren Torres and junior Aleisha Coates brought the defense with two assist blocks each.

The Rebels would strike back in the second set, recording 13 kills en route to the 25-28 win.
The third set would be the toughest and most grueling as there would be more than 10 lead changes in the period.

Fresno State would once again re-gain the lead in the set column with a 30-28 victory to win the third set, giving them a 2-1 set lead.

The Rebels would battle back, however, and tie things up once again in Set 4 with a 25-23 win.

With two sets apiece, the ‘Dogs and Rebels would have to settle things with a final fifth set.

UNLV jumped out to an early 4-1 lead, forcing the ‘Dogs to take a timeout and regroup.

Coming out of the timeout the ‘Dogs went on a 4-0 run, taking the 5-4 lead and forcing the Rebels to use one of their timeouts.

The ‘Dogs would not look back and never surrendered the lead after that.

Fresno State finished off the Rebels with a 15-8 victory in the fifth set and won the match with a Sabrina Winslow game-winning kill.

The ‘Dogs posted a team total 69 kills, 61 assists and 8.5 blocks in the victory.

The Rebels tallied 59 kills, 50 assists, and 17.5 blocks in the loss.
The Fresno State volleyball team is now 4-4 in conference play and tied with UNLV for sixth place in the Mountain West.

Up next for the ‘Dogs is a road match with San Jose State. The Spartans are 3-5 in conference play, 11-10 overall and sit in seventh place in the league standings — just behind the ‘Dogs.