Fresno+State+freshman+Taylor+Slover+goes+in+for+a+kill+during+the+%E2%80%98Dogs%E2%80%99+3-0+sweep+of+Fresno+Pacific+Tuesday+night+at+Save+Mart+Center.+%28Khone+Saysamongdy%2FThe+Collegian%29%0A+
Fresno State freshman Taylor Slover goes in for a kill during the ‘Dogs’ 3-0 sweep of Fresno Pacific Tuesday night at Save Mart Center. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

Volleyball: ‘Dogs get swept by Lobos in Thursday’s MW matchup

Fresno State sophomore outside hitter Carly Scarbrough goes in for the kill during the team's Sept. 22 sweep of Fresno Pacific at Save Mart Center. Scarbrough (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)
Fresno State sophomore outside hitter Carly Scarbrough goes in for the kill during the team’s Sept. 22 sweep of Fresno Pacific at Save Mart Center. Scarbrough (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

The Fresno State volleyball team was swept right out of New Mexico, suffering a 3-0 (25-21, 25-23, 25-22) loss at the hands of the Lobos.

Coming into another two-game road trip in the midst of its conference schedule, the volleyball team looked to get back into the win column visiting the Lobos. Sporting a new starting lineup that featured freshman Sabrina Winslow and senior Jelena Jovanovic as the newcomers, the ‘Dogs hoped the change could spark the offense en route to a conference win.

The match did not start as the ‘Dogs had hoped as both teams struggled out of the gate with numerous miscues. The set was tied early on at 8 apiece but the Lobos would win 13 of the next 21 points en route to a 25-21 Set 1 victory.

From the start, the Lobos made it a priority to try and stop or contain senior Zana Bowens offensively and throughout the first set they seemed to do that. Bowens although, was still able to finish atop the Bulldog players offensively.

But it seemed as though the Lobos shut down the entire Fresno State offense as the ‘Dogs were not able to get anything started offensively all night. In the first set the Lobos jumped out to a quick lead and never looked back as they score was only tied on three separate occasions during the entirety of the match.

Sets 2 and 3 were all New Mexico as well but the ‘Dogs would not go down easily. In those sets, both teams fought back-and-forth as the teams were tied at 25 different occasions combined in the two sets and saw the lead change hands 13 different times.

Throughout the match the ‘Dogs had a rough time containing the New Mexico offense as it was coming from all different places. New Mexico had four players register seven or more kills in the match with junior outside hitter Cassie House leading the way with 13.

For the ‘Dogs, it was Bowens leading the way with 14 kills. Sophomore Carly Scarbrough and junior Aleisha Coates were right behind her with 10 each on the night. Junior Maggie Eppright led the way defensively for the ‘Dogs. Eppright finished her night as the only Bulldog to post double-figure dig totals, finishing with 14 for the match.

Next up for the ‘Dogs, as they finish up the short road trip, will be a stop in Colorado to take on the Falcons of Air Force Saturday afternoon. The ‘Dogs will be back home in the Save Mart Center Tuesday to take on the Rebels of UNLV.