Edward+Lund+%28right%29+in+2012+%28Esteban+Cortez%2FThe+Collegian%29+
Edward Lund (right) in 2012 (Esteban Cortez/The Collegian)

University gallery curator dies in bike crash

Edward Lund, a local artist and gallery technician for the Fresno State Department of Art and Design, died in a bike crash during the Levi’s GranFondo charity bike race in Sonoma County on Saturday.

Lund, 54, worked for the university for about six years and also performed curatorial work for the department. This included installing exhibits in the Phoebe Conley Art Gallery and the College of Art and Humanities Dean’s Gallery in the Music Building, both on campus and the Graduate Art Studios at the M Street Arts Complex in downtown Fresno.

“We at Fresno State are saddened by this tragic loss of our dear friend and colleague,” said Professor Martin Valencia, art and design department chair. “Edward was a talented and enthusiastic individual who put his unique touch into the exhibits at university venues. Our condolences to his family and to his many friends and colleagues in the art world and beyond.”

Professor Nick Potter said that Lund’s death on Saturday was devastating news.

“There are a lot of people in shock about Ed’s death. He was the most generous, kind person who was always keen to help his friends in the art and cycling communities,” Potter said. “We all knew him to be the best in his field, a perfectionist and great teacher. Above all, he was a great friend to many, many people and we all felt incredibly honored to be around him.”

GranFondo charity bike race organizers released a statement on Facebook that said: “We’re a community of riders, each one of us. When we lose one of our own on a day that’s supposed to be a celebration, we struggle to express the depth of our sadness. For now, every thought we have is for this rider’s family. Please be safe out there. We simply don’t have enough time together.”