Raven-Symone arrives at the premiere of “College Road Trip” held at El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, California, March 3, 2008. Fitzroy Barrett/Landov/TNS

That’s not so Raven: an open letter to a confused Raven-Symonè

Careful Raven, your bigotry is showing. Last week the former child star and panelist on Emmy-winning show “The View” made some discriminatory and outright racist comments regarding “ethnic-sounding” names.

The comments were made in response to a popular YouTube video that names “ghetto” names. Raven stated that she would not hire someone with an ethnic name, citing “Watermelondrea” as an example.

First of all, that is such a racist thing to say. Raven capitalized on a common racist stereotype to attack black names and essentially attack black culture. When black parents step outside of the “traditional” white names and name their children uncommon names, they are standing in solidarity with their culture.

Entire identities are shaped by names, being as it is something that is not chosen for ourselves, but is gifted to us by those who love us. To dismiss someone’s name is to dismiss the background that they come from. Do not mock someone’s background by boiling it down to a racial stereotype. These are people’s identities.

You would expect Raven to understand, seeing how she, too, has a nontraditional name. It is incredibly hypocritical to call out and mock others’ namesakes when her own name could possibly be the reason she wasn’t hired for a job at one point — if you are following her logic. Raven is accepting discrimination and perpetuating it, even though in doing so has the capacity to harm herself as well.

People do not pick their names. The name you are given is not an indicator of talent, worth or capability. It is unfair to deem a person worth hiring based on racial stereotypes. Raven is directly contributing to systemic racism.

What is really disappointing is the fact that Raven was an idol to young women of color when she starred in Disney Channel’s “That’s So Raven.”

Although it was a kids show, it was not afraid to touch on sensitive issues. Her show often discussed race and promoted body positivity. To come from such an enlightened background really outlines how far Raven has fallen from her prior positive self.

She is giving racists the opportunity to say, “Well, if she is black and saying those things, it is OK for me to do it, too.” By saying that she discriminates against ethnic names, she is validating that it is OK for others to discriminate for the same thing.

It is easy for Raven to stand from her place of privilege on “The View” and comment on issues that do not directly affect her any longer. She has separated herself from her culture and heritage and internalized racism.

Raven, you are not above anyone else. Do not insult the culture that named you.

Does being in a place of privilege mean that privileged individuals feel the need to separate themselves from the underprivileged, even if it defiles their culture, heritage and namesake? Get it together, Raven. Do not marginalize everyone else to validate your own issues with your identity. That’s so not Raven.