Teammates rally around senior midfielder Sam Brechmann after she scored her first collegiate goal during Sunday’s 4-1 win over Boise State at the Soccer and Lacrosse Field. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Soccer: ‘Dogs dominate Broncos in first conference win

Teammates rally around senior midfielder Sam Brechmann after she scores her first collegiate goal during Sunday’s 4-1 win over Boise State at the Soccer and Lacrosse Field. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

The Fresno State women’s soccer team dominated Mountain West rival Boise State, blowing out the Broncos 4-1 in Sunday’s home match.

Coming off their Mountain West home opening loss to Utah State, the ‘Dogs (2-8-1, 1-2-1) were looking to bounce back with a victory and did just that.

For the first time this season, the ‘Dogs put together a complete game with some offensive power and tough defense.

“A lot of the things we have worked on came together and to see so many people contribute on both sides of the ball was tremendous,” head coach Brian Zwaschka said. “I think that our focus and organization was really spot-on.”

The Bulldogs usually have been the team off to the slow start in matches, but on Sunday that wasn’t the case.

Fresno State’s first goal came at the 5:55 mark when Amanda Nunes took a corner kick and found Maria Gomez, who put it in the back of the net.

The ‘Dogs didn’t wait long to add another goal. Sophomore Myra Delgadillo would score 20 seconds later off a long ball assist from senior Fanny Johansson.

“I just pressed high and I felt that when the ball was swinging across, I just needed to press it,” Delgadillo said. “With my high press I would just go through, get the ball and score.”

The Broncos would get on the board in the 26th minute when KT Clayton would take a corner kick that found Brooke Heidmann in the box, who put it in.

The ‘Dogs led 2-1 at the half.

“They’re a good passing team, and they do a good job getting you stretched out,” Zwaschka said. “Their interchange is always difficult to deal with because they have players who can play in different positions, so they can switch around a lot.”

The ‘Dogs would respond in the 49th minute as senior Sam Brechmann fired a rocket past the Broncos’ goalie from just outside of the box, pushing the Bulldogs’ lead back to two goals.

In the 53rd minute, the ‘Dogs would add one for good measure when junior Amanda Nunes would bounce her shot off the left post and Delgadillo put it in off the rebound for her second goal of the day.

“Obviously we are very excited for Myra [Delgadillo],” Zwaschka said, “But I’d be lying if I said I was surprised. We know that not only is she capable of that, but we have other people alongside her who are capable of that as well. It’s good to see her in full health at the moment, and hopefully there is more to come.”

Fresno State outshot the Broncos 21-15 in the match and had more shots on goal with 12, compared with Boise State’s eight.

Bulldog freshman goalkeeper Marie Berwinkel-Kottmann played all 90 minutes of the match. Berwinkel-Kottmann did allow a goal and had seven saves in the match to push her total to 26 on the season.