The+restored+fire+engine+in+the+new+Fresno+County+Historical+Museum.+Paul+Schlesinger+%2F+The+Collegian+
The restored fire engine in the new Fresno County Historical Museum. Paul Schlesinger / The Collegian

Representing the Valley at the Big Fresno Fair

Take the time to visit the fair this year.­You will not regret it.­Sure, the rides are cool and the food is always crazy awesome, but the real vital part of the fair isn’t always highlighted. The best part­ of the fair is the local representation of the Valley.

If you head over to the Wells Fargo Agriculture Building presented by FoodMaxx you will find an array of local fruits and vegetables, representing the agricultural bounty of Fresno County.

Skip the fatty corn dogs wrapped in bacon and pick up some fresh peaches.

There isn’t a better way to bask in the glories of a city than to have peach juice running down your chin while walking the midway strip on a warm evening.­Don’t forget to check out the exhibit buildings, they always need some love.

These buildings contain original artwork made by local artists representing the diverse nature of Fresno County.­From pie-baking contests to beautiful photography, there is much to see in the multiple exhibit buildings.­There is even a separate building for junior entries.

Everything in this building was made by a Fresno County youth, ages 9 to 17. You will go into this building and inherently feel badly about your poor artistic skills when a fourth grader paints flowers like Georgia O’Keefe with a watercolor set from the dollar store.

While you might feel slightly inadequate, it is also empowering to know that your community is capable of creating great things. These are the bright minds that are shaping the future of Fresno.

Another great opportunity to celebrate Fresno is in the new Fresno County Historical Museum, which is open throughout the fair, located by the Paul Paul Amphitheater.

You can take a free guided tour of the museum every day the fair is open, at 11:30 a.m, 2 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.­In the museum you are greeted by a beautifully restored fire engine, showcasing some of the Fresno Fire Department’s history.­The museum does not only cover Fresno history, but also the history of the local fair.­The museum is showcasing the first-ever cotton candy-making machine.­This is totally worth fighting the crowds to see.

Who needs to wait in line for the zipper for 20 minutes when you can educate yourself on your local community?

Going to the fair is often expensive.­Parking, entrance fees, wristbands for rides, insane food costs and carnival games often add up to major wallet losses.­Replacing rides with exhibits, corn dogs with fresh farmers’ market goods and carnival games with museum tours is an easy way to save money as well as stay up to date about your local community.

People from all over the Central Valley make it out to see and contribute to the attractions.­From livestock showings to local vendors peddling their goods, Fresno is beautifully represented.

Make sure to appreciate this as much as you will appreciate the deep-fried Oreos.