Levi Miller plays Peter, a mischievous 12 year old boy in PAN. Courtesy Photo/Warner Bros. Entertainment

‘Pan’ never lands

“Pan” was a subpar representation of a traditional story. Littered with plot holes and unexplained storylines, this movie is not worth the matinee price. The thin dialogue and contrived soundtrack do not meet expectations.

If “Mad Max: Fury Road” and “Pocahontas” had a baby, this would be it. Except that it would be missing all the women and social commentary.

The movie could easily be two halves: a giant chase scene — like “Mad Max: Fury Road” — and the story of one hegemonic power capitalizing on the natural resources of indigenous people — like “Pocahontas.” There is nothing original about “Pan.” It even stole its location and backstory from the classic story of Peter Pan.

One thing that was missing from the tale, and it desperately needed to have taken from the original, was a positive outlook for women. There are three recurring female characters. Two of them are perceived as evil, and the third one barely talks. Her biggest purpose is to be Captain Hook’s love interest.

This is pathetic. In the original novel “Peter Pan” by J.M. Barrie, there were dynamic female characters like Wendy and Tinkerbell. “Pan” should have followed suit.

The movie begins with the London Blitz bombings during World War II, which is actually really interesting if you know the history. But seeing as the target audience of 12-year-olds does not know the history or significance, it’s just a confusing, irrelevant and an unexplained plot twist used in an effort to exploit mediocre CGI.

Peter’s origin story is just not believable. While bombs are raining down on London, a young Peter Pan is being whipped for poor behavior. Because that is totally what child caretakers do when buildings are falling down visibly in the background. The writers tried too hard to write the next Miss Trunchbull, but forgot they weren’t talented enough to do that.

This movie is in an identity crisis. It does not know if it wants to be a children’s movie or not. For instance, the battle scenes show native people dying. It is a little gruesome. Except that instead of bleeding and dying like normal human beings, the natives burst into brightly colored powder that rains down on whomever is near. It was the scariest color run ever.

What is even more confusing is the message this is sending to kids. Indigenous people in Neverland do not bleed like humans, but the antagonists in the movie bleed like humans.

In one way, the movie is trying to be socially responsible by showing how negative the rape of natural land is and how colonization is bad. But at the same time, the movie just made Neverland’s indigenous people another species. What kind of message does that send to kids? That indigenous people are not people. Cool story, “Pan.”