Fresno State junior Trevor Clayton finished tied for 10th at the Alister MacKenzie Invitational. (Keith Kountz/Fresno State Athletics)

Men’s Golf: Fresno State secures Top 10 finish

The Fresno State men’s golf team posted a seventh-place finish at the Alister MacKenzie Invitational — a two-day contest hosted by Cal — behind a pair of 67s from juniors Trevor Clayton and Troix Tonkham.

On Monday, the ‘Dogs had five rounds in the 60s and posted a 36-hole 15-under team score (274-279=553). However, the ‘Dogs sat in eighth place after two rounds.

California led the tournament, posting a 30-under after two rounds (268-270=538).

Clayton led the ‘Dogs at 7-under after two rounds with a first round of 67 (-4) and second of 68 (-3).

Fellow Bulldogs Cody Riecks (69-75), Alex Lee (71-67) and Tonkham (67-72) shot in the 60s as well on Monday. Riecks was 2-over tied for 53rd, Lee was 4-under tied for 24th, and Tonkham was 3-under tied for 29th.

On the final day of the event, Clayton fired another round in the 60s, giving him five-straight rounds in the 60s. Clayton closed the tourney with a 9-under (67-68-69=204) and finished tied for 10th in a field of 80 individuals.

Tonkham had a career tournament by backing up a single-round career low 67 on Monday and added another 67 in the third and final round Tuesday. The redshirt junior also had a tournament-low record with a 54-hole, 7-under 206 performance en route to a 17th-place finish.

Riecks (69-75-71=215) and Lee (71-67-77=215) both finished the tournament with a 2-over, tied for 47th, while sophomore Justin Avery (71-72-75=218) finished with a score of 5-over — tied for 61st.

The ‘Dogs moved up only one position on the final day from eighth to seventh among the 16-team field with a team 17-under (274-249-282=835).

Fresno State’s score of 835 marks the fifth-lowest score in school history in the last 22 years.

The Fresno State men’s golf team has one tournament remaining for the fall season — the Pacific Invitational — which runs from Oct. 29-31 at University of the Pacific.