Fresno State excuses Muslim students from class Friday in anticipation of possible unrest

Fresno State Provost and VP for Academic Affairs Lynnette Zelezny sent an email out to professors Thursday­that recommended Muslim students be excused­from classes due to planned anti-Muslim protests around the nation Friday and Saturday.

Tom Uribes, Fresno State PIO, said that the school is being proactive, but they are unaware of any specific threats to Muslims locally.

Some professors have gone a step further to cancel classes altogether.

BREAKING: Fresno State Provost and VP for Academic Affairs Lynnette Zelezny sent an email out to professors that…

Posted by The Collegian on­Thursday, October 8, 2015

After the recommendation was picked up by the media, Fresno State clarified its intent in excusing Muslim students from classes.

“We were made aware of national concerns Thursday evening indicating potential threats across the country on Friday against Muslim students,” Zelezny said. “We are taking the precautionary step of allowing our Muslim students to be excused from classes on Friday. It is not necessary for faculty to cancel classes entirely.­While we do not know of any threats locally, we are aware there are concerns elsewhere and we are being proactive in order to make our students feel safe, which is essential to their success.”

There have been reports of a possible rally occurring either at Fresno State or nearby the campus Friday, but nothing has been confirmed.

This story will be updated.