Fresno State rider Alexandra Drickson and horse Gator compete in the Equitation on the Flat event Saturday afternoon against No. 7 Texas A&M at the Student Horse Center. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

Equestrian: ‘Dogs go 1-1 at home opener tri-meet

Fresno State rider Alexandra Dirickson and horse Gator compete in the Equitation on the Flat event Saturday afternoon against No. 7 Texas A&M at the Student Horse Center. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

The No. 8 Fresno State equestrian team dropped a close one to No. 7 Texas A&M on Saturday at the Student Horse Center.

The ‘Dogs and Aggies were tied at 9-9, but the match would go to Texas A&M in a tiebreaker with a score of 1493.25 to Fresno State’s 1347.50.

“I am really proud of how the Hunt Seat team rode this entire weekend,” head coach Eric Hubbard said. “It was a tough loss today and we have realized that the small mistakes are big in the overall score. We have some things to work on as we head into the spring season.”

The ‘Dogs (3-4) earned six-of-eight Most Outstanding Players honors over the weekend.
Sophomore Kylina Chalack obtained three, two of them coming on Friday and one Saturday in the Equitation Over Fences category.

The ‘Dogs went into Saturday’s match against Texas A&M with some momentum as they defeated New Mexico State just the day before.

The ‘Dogs out earned NMSU 12-8 and swept all four Most Outstanding Player honors on Friday.

For the ‘Dogs, the defeat of the Aggies on marked their sixth opening win since 2006.

The ‘Dogs first set of competition started around noon time on Saturday.

Fresno State and Texas A&M started the meet off in Equitation Over Fences and Reining.

The ‘Dogs were swept 4-0 in Western riding, while the Hunt Seat team leaped over the Aggies with a 4-1 win in Over Fences.

Fresno State’s Chalack (82), Sierra Swaffar (82), Alexandria Dirickson (81) and Paige Pastorino (77) each outscored their opponents, leaving the ‘Dogs trailing by only one point.

The Aggies were ahead 5-4 when they gained a one point advantage at the ending of Horsemanship (3-2).

The ‘Dogs would get two points from Eliott (71) and Dixon (74.5).

Fresno State would rally back in the final event as Genna Fogelberg (70), Savannah Bernard (67) and Swaffar (65) gave the ‘Dogs a 3-1 edge in Equitation on the Flat, bringing the match to a 9-9 draw.

Sophomore Taylor Dixon (Horsemanship), senior Sydney Elliott (Horsemanship) and junior Taylor Brown (Reining) also were presented with Most Outstanding Player honors.

“We had some good rides and I am proud of our Most Outstanding Players,” Hubbard added. Kylina [Chalack] had a really strong weekend, her Hunt Seat teammates rallied around that success and let the momentum push them.”

The Fresno State equestrian team rides again when they take a trip to Oklahoma City for the AQHA Horsemanship Challenge on Nov. 19.