Alcohol awareness raised with on-campus fest

National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week was recognized on campus Thursday night with the Wild West Awareness fest.

Elizabeth Lopez, 25, coordinator of the event for the Student Health and Counseling Center (SHAC) said the event was all about promoting alcohol awareness.

“Students are learning about the signs of alcohol poisoning, how to respond in an emergency, they’re learning tips on how to drink responsibly and we’re also encouraging students to use a designated driver if they are going out and decide to drink,” Lopez said.

Kathy Yarmo, coordinator of health promotion and wellness services at the Student Health and Counseling Center, helped organize the event.

Yarmo said it was an alcohol alternative event aimed to show students facts and give them knowledge on how to be safe around alcohol use.

“Our hope is that students walk away with at least one new piece of information, but also have fun,” Yarmo said.

The event had different booths set up from organizations such as the SHAC, nutrition services, Lock It Up Project, tobacco and drug awareness. There were also activities including line dancing, bingo, an alcohol impairment goggle challenge and a mechanical bull.

David Barrera, 19, a history major, was at the event as a volunteer with the Peer Ambassadors of Wellness (PAWs) and said the event was very informational for students.

“Students like to party, and they get competitive at games and they don’t limit their drinking,” Barrera said. “We give them information and we give them advice as well.”

Yarmo said that this was the first time an awareness event was held during the evening, and added it was a great way to interact with students outside of traditional school hours.

There have been alcohol awareness events all week, and will end with a movie night on Friday coordinated by University Student Union Productions.