Senior Fanny Johansson and the ‘Dogs finished the season with a 5-12-1 record.

Women’s Soccer: ‘Dogs blanked by Wyoming with Fanny Johansson back on the field

Fresno State senior forward Fanny Johansson attempts a strike during the Sept. 6 nonconference match against Cal Poly. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

The Fresno State women’s soccer team dropped its conference match Sunday to Wyoming 3-0 at Louis S. Madrid Sports Complex in Laramie, Wyoming.

The Bulldogs (1-7-1) now have a record of 0-1-1 in the Mountain West after opening conference play with a 2-2 draw at Colorado State on Friday.

“Wyoming is a team built to get set pieces to win games and it was very effective for them today,” Fresno State head coach Brian Zwaschka said. “We are looking forward to coming home and playing in front of our fans.”

Wyoming (5-2-3, 1-1-0) scored their first goal in the 16th minute off a set piece that was headed in by freshman Annika Clayton, marking her first goal of the season.

The ‘Dogs would give up another goal in the 41st minute. Wyoming forward Shaina Ashouri made a cross into the box that was headed by Laurel Ramer and then put in the back of the net by Summer Halle. The ‘Dogs would trail the Cowgirls 2-0 at the half.

Fresno State would give up the Cowgirls’ last goal in the 67th minute when Wyoming got another set piece, which was taken by Ashouri. She drove the ball towards the left post and found Taylor Burton, who headed it in.

“To have three players get their first goal of the season is something that we need,” Wyoming head coach Pete Cuadrado said. “It’s great to have that happen, it shows that it was a team win and that everyone was playing well and creating chances.”

All of Wyoming’s goals had one player in common: Ashouri, who assisted on all three of the Cowgirls’ goals.

The ‘Dogs’ goalkeeper for the game was sophomore Domenique Banta. This was Banta’s fourth start on the season. Banta had three saves in the match, pushing her total to 19 saves within six matches this season.

Fresno State did not have a shot in the first half and only four in the second half. The ‘Dogs were outshot 13-4 by the Cowgirls. The four shots for the ‘Dogs came from sophomore Julia Campos
and junior Alyssa Holsworth, who each had two shots with one on goal.

Holsworth leads the team this season with 11 shots and five shots on goal.

Fresno State senior captain Fanny Johansson took the field, in her first game back from a one-game suspension. Johansson was suspended for Friday night’s match after being arrested last weekend.

Johansson played 86 minutes in Sunday’s match with no shots, shots on goal or an assist credited to her name.