Women’s Golf: ‘Dogs secure second-consecutive 3rd-place finish

Square Logo BlueThe Fresno State women’s golf team finished third out of a 15-team field Tuesday at Portland State’s Rose City Collegiate tournament at Langdon Farms Golf Club.

The ‘Dogs set a mark for the lowest tournament score in school history at 11-over 875 (296-285-294).

Four Bulldogs had finished in the Top 20 at the tourney. Leading the ‘Dogs was senior Hannah Sodersten.

The Bulldogs had finished with a share of the lead Monday along with the University of San Francisco
after the first two rounds.

Fresno State had an excellent second round Monday and flew up the leaderboard with a score of 3-under 285. This matches the school’s all-time low round, which was set by head coach Emily Milberger-Loftin’s 2014-15 team at last season’s Mountain View Collegiate.

Hannah Sodersten (70), Gudrun Bjorgvinsdottir (71), Mimi Ho (72), Joanna Kim (72) each posted rounds at even-par or lower in Monday’s record-setting second round. Ho had her lowest round of the season.

Kim and Sodersten shared a tie for fifth place overall at the end of Monday’s rounds. Ho was in 12th place overall, and Bjorgvinsdottir sat in a tie for 24th.

Kim shared the tournament lead for most birdies (8) after 36 holes. Sodersten was one back with seven.

The ‘Dogs were dominant on the par-3s on Monday with an average 2.93 (team 3-under). San Francisco was the next closest team, posting a 3.13 average (team 5-over).

Tuesday was all about Sodersten. The senior opened with a round of 74 then fired back-to-back 70s and tied her all-time single-round low score.

On the front nine, Sodersten posted a par on each hole. The senior also had three birdies and one bogey on the back en route to 10 total birdies for the tournament.

With three tournaments in the 2015-16 season, the senior has placed in the Top 10 at each event (T2 — Ptarmigan Ram Classic, T9 — WSU Cougar Cup, T3 — Rose City Collegiate).

The ‘Dogs have improved their standing in each tournament so far this season. The ‘Dogs placed two golfers in the Top 20 in the first week, three in the Top 20 in the second week, and now four in the Top 20 this week.

The ‘Dogs will have next week off and then hit the road on Oct. 9-11 for the Ron Moore Women’s Intercollegiate, hosted by the University of Denver.