+The+Fresno+State+volleyball+team+huddles+up+during+last+week%E2%80%99s+home+opener+at+Save+Mart+Center.+%28Khone+Saysamongdy%2FThe+Collegian%29
The Fresno State volleyball team huddles up during last week’s home opener at Save Mart Center. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

Volleyball: ‘Dogs bounce back to win final match at Saint Mary’s Tournament

The Fresno State volleyball team returns home after a rough weekend at the St. Mary’s Invitational.

The ‘Dogs went 1-2 during the two-day tournament, and currently hold an overall record of 3-4.

After their highly contested, five-set home opener against Cal Poly, the ‘Dogs returned to action Friday for the first day of the invitational., but the tournament did not start the way the team was hoping.

The ‘Dogs dropped the first game of the weekend 3-0 to the host Gaels in a match that saw only one lead change. The Gaels got the early advantage and maintained it, taking the first three sets 25-22, 25-23 and 25-15.

Lauren Torres and Zana Bowens led the way offensively for the ‘Dogs with eight kills and sophomore Carly Scarbrough was not far behind with seven. Maggie Eppright was once again in double figures in digs with 17.

Although they lost the first three sets to the Gaels, the ‘Dogs felt they were not that far behind.

“We’re right there,” head coach Lauren Netherby-Sewell said. “We were very close to a good team.”

Looking to improve going into Saturday, the ‘Dogs returned to McKeon Pavilion for two games. The team started off its day against St. John’s, and things did not improve during the first two sets.

The Red Storm took the first two sets, both by scores of 25-19. However, things made a turn for the better for the ‘Dogs as they took the third set in dominating fashion 25-11. But, the ‘Dogs could not continue that dominating play, dropping the fourth set 25-20 and the match 3-1.

Leading the way for the ‘Dogs offensively was the surprise breakout play of Scarbrough. She emerged with 14 kills, leading the ‘Dogs for the first time this year. Eppright continued her outstanding defensive play this year with another double-figure digs total (22), her sixth-straight match with double-figure totals.

The ‘Dogs’ fortune turned in their favor for the nightcap Saturday as they were able to make short work of Bethune-Cookman, taking the first three sets 25-20, 25-12 and 25-19.

Torres once again led the team with 10 kills, and Coates was just behind with nine. Eppright and Bowens each had nine digs to lead the way defensively. Eppright’s impressive streak of double-figure digs totals did come to end, but her play continues to lead the ‘Dogs defensively.

During the three games of the invitational, the Bulldogs had 138 kills with Torres at the top with 27 and Bowens and Scarbrough right behind her with 25. Defensively, Eppright led the ‘Dogs with an average of 4.80 digs per set totaling 48 for the weekend and Scarbrough led with her 12 blocks, including two solo.

The Bulldogs are excited to return to Save Mart Center Friday, where they start the Bulldog Showdown, a four-game tournament, followed by a nine-game homestand.

Having played six of their first seven matches this year on the road, the ‘Dogs hope this upcoming home stand can build them up some momentum going into conference play.

The ‘Dogs host UC Riverside at 11:30 a.m. and then Cal State Fullerton at 4:30 p.m. Friday to begin the Bulldog Showdown.