Mark Zuckerberg speaks at the Mobile World Congress 2015 in Barcelona, Spain, on March 2, 2015. (David Jensen/EMPICS Entertainment/Abaca Press/TNS

The Facebook dislike button: the new hotbed of hate

Can I hit dislike on the Facebook dislike button? This is a horrible idea.

Not only will this make me a more negative person, but I will also abuse this privilege. It will be the new standard of passive-aggressive behavior on social media platforms in the age of information.

Oh, you liked a picture of Kim Kardashian? Dislike.

You think Donald Trump actually has some merit to his ideas? Dislike.

Having this option will give me the opportunity to act on all the hateful things that run through my mind daily.

I don’t want this option. I like hiding behind my keyboard and passive aggressively “liking” or ignoring content. I feel powerful enough.

I don’t want the option to be mean. I do not have the self-control or the restraint to keep myself from simply clicking a button.

My own laziness keeps me from forming coherent sentences on people’s posts, but if all I had to do was hover and tap? Bring on the negativity and “dislike.”

Where was this button about five years ago when I was spiteful and young enough to not care about what other people felt?

Now that I have grown older, I have come to appreciate the differences between people. That, and some of my friends are just more obstinate than me and I’d rather not fight. I no longer feel the need to impose my bad-will upon them.

Can I just continue to ignore things I don’t like? Are my constant opinions or actions on your posts necessary? Must I be the purveyor of your self-worth, always?

People already equate their self-worth with the amount of likes they receive on a status or photo.

This makes me wonder how the dislike button will work. Will it have a separate count? Will it add and subtract accordingly? Or most importantly, can a post go into negative numbers?

How will this affect individuals with low self-esteem?

Or is this Facebook still trying to be relevant? Not everyone has a Facebook anymore. The era of the blue homepage may be coming to a close, just as quickly as MySpace once did.

When Mark Zuckerberg announced that Facebook was working on an alternative to the like button, he was careful to say that it would be showing “empathy” on posts.

An example of this would be like when a family member passes away, or a friend announces they are moving. It sometimes feels awkward to hit the “like” button for funeral service information. But you want that person to know that they aren’t being ignored.

You could show empathy with the click of a button, rather than just take the time to say something caring toward your ­friends and family.

Heaven forbid you have to talk to someone.

So maybe the button to hit won’t as blatant as “hate.” But I can sure as heck make empathy passive aggressive.

“Oh, you’re now in a relationship with John Smith?” I empathize.

So you are announcing your pregnancy? I empathize.

You think you look cute? I empathize.

The notion of empathy can be just as painful or hurtful as blatantly disliking someone’s post. Can we just not start more social media conflict? Is Facebook going to become the new form of Reddit or YouTube? This is just another attempt for Facebook to stay relevant to a generation that has spread its wings to Instagram.

I will continue to ignore the things I dislike, whether there is a button for it or not. I will not stoop.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Jason DonovanSep 21, 2015 at 10:16 am

I can’t describe how absurd this article is. For years we’ve had 1 choice either you like or you don’t click anything. The truth is, we as a reader or some Facebook post never know if others feel like we do in disliking something because we only see the “LIKE” icon and the number of people who clicked it. If you Google, Dumbest Facebook posts, there are thousands, millions out there and these people have obtained fame for being dumb and not using their brain before posting. In addition, there are some very bad posts that are racist, bigoted, or sexist and we deserve the right to make it known their posts are not welcome here. you claim that a dislike button will hurt some feelings…well…what better way to get the word out there that we all need to edit our posts a little better and not regurgitate our thoughts out there for the world to see. My best answer to you is this, if you don’t like the dislike button quim, then DON’T USE it.