Student Cupboard debuts new location with open house

The Fresno State Student Cupboard will have an open house for its new location on Friday, Sept. 4 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

The new location of the Student Cupboard, previously at the old Farm Market, is in the Industrial Technology building in room 144 on the southwest corner of Barstow Avenue and Jackson Drive.

The Student Cupboard is a pantry for Fresno State students filled with food and personal hygiene products. ­Students are able to go and get these items as often as they need for free. ­

Jessica Medina, the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs Project Coordinator said that the Student Cupboard was created in fall 2014 at the request of President Castro and his wife Mary. ­

President Castro, his wife, Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Dr. Frank Lamas and many others created the Food Security Project and launched the Student Cupboard, Medina said.

It was found that 42.4 percent of Fresno State students surveyed in the 2015 National College Health Assessment had experienced food insecurity on some level.

Senior in health science and community health, Brenda Hartman, is the operations assistant at the Student Cupboard and will help students with any questions they have.

“I have basic starter meals, and actually hand put meals together for students if they are unfamiliar with cooking at home,” Hartman said.

When students show up to the Cupboard all they need to do is show their student identification card to verify that they are current Fresno State students.

The only question students are asked when they use the cupboard is how many people they are sharing the food with. ­The food can be just for the student, or they can be sharing it with many family members. ­

The Student Cupboard is just interested in how many people the food is going to, Hartman said.

Medina says that the items in stock can vary weekly, depending on what the Cupboard receives from donations and Community Food bank.

Students are provided with perishable and nonperishable food items. ­These include produce, canned goods, bread, frozen meals, everyday snacks and some meat items. ­

The cupboard also stocks personal hygiene items such as toothbrushes and toothpaste, soap, and feminine hygiene products, Medina said.

“We encourage students, faculty, staff and community members to come visit the new location and learn about the Food Security Project and Student Cupboard,” Medina said. ­
There will be refreshments and an opportunity to learn more about the Student Cupboard at the open house.