Senior Fanny Johansson and the ‘Dogs finished the season with a 5-12-1 record.

Soccer: Bulldogs clinch first win of season

Fresno State senior forward Fanny Johansson attempts a strike during the Sept. 6 nonconference match against Cal Poly. (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian)

The Fresno State soccer team earned a victory this past Sunday against Sacramento State by the score of 1-0 to snap a six-game losing streak and end a drought of going 570 played minutes without a goal.

The Bulldogs (1-6-0) haven’t had a shutout game since Oct. 3 2014 when the ‘Dogs kept UNLV off the board.

Fresno State came out aggressive as ever with six shots in the first eight minutes. Two of those shots came from Fresno State forwards Myra Delgadillo and Peyton Cline, which were both blocked. Midfielder Alyssa Holsworth tried to put one in the back of the net in the fifth minute, but her shot attempt was saved by the Hornets goalie Butcher Destiny.

“The difference between this game and the last six was our fight,” Cline said. “We were out there playing aggressively and showing that we really wanted this. I think our losses were hindering us and keeping us down and we had to find that fight within us.”

With the ‘Dogs putting the pressure on the Hornets, it was only a matter of time before Fresno State would soon take the lead in the match and score its second goal of the season.

That breakthrough moment for the ‘Dogs came late in the first half when sophomore forward Peyton Cline would put one passed Sacramento’s goalkeeper off a redirected shot from a free kick in the box. The goal by Cline gave the ‘Dogs their first goal of the season and their first lead of the season.

“I just happened to be in the right place at the right time,” Cline said. “It feels amazing to get that first win.”

Fresno state outshot the Hornets 9-4 in the first half. In the second half, Sacremento State came out as the aggressors, outshooting the ‘Dogs 13-6 and would have seven corner kicks to Fresno State’s one.

“Domenique [Banta] was solid,” head coach Brian Zwaschka added. “She was very vocal and kept our defense organized. As far as the shots on goal that she faced, she had time to get her feet set and had time to get her hands up, thanks to that solid defensive organization.”

The Hornets (2-5-0) were aggressive but Banta was just as stingy between the post. She would play all 90 minutes in the match. Banta had one save in the first half but came up big in the second with six saves helping the ‘Dogs keep the lead and earn their first victory.

The ‘Dogs got their first win at the right time and will have some momentum before they begin their conference schedule.

“It feels awesome to get a win,” Zwaschka said. “But as much as we’re going to celebrate and enjoy it, we know that we have to keep building and that we have more to work on. This is a really important step in preparation for conference play.”

The ‘Dogs will return back to action on Sept. 25 as go back on the road to Colorado State (2-4-1) to start Mountain West Conference play.